View Single Post
Old 01-09-2014, 04:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksulliv View Post
Yah. For some reason the gelcoat on the transom is super thin too. There were some spots that I could already feel the flake before I even touched it. The dark spots seem thicker but around the decals was thin.

The dark areas behind the swim platform are just the same on my boat. The fade or lighter areas of the rest of the boat are referred to as gelcoat separation. It is almost like a clear coat over the flake that has oxidized from the underside, and from the top. When you buff the boat in all the other areas exposed to direct sunlight and 30 years of oxidation you are removing only what you can from the top, which helps. The under side where the separation from the flake has occurred cannot be reached unless you sand all the way down to the flake and re clear coat or gel coat the boat.

I learned a lot refurbishing mine from the only guy I trust with a rotary buffer other than myself. He is amazing at what he does and specializes in boats.

Long story short that nice dark color you see behind the swim platform is what the entire boat used to look like and has not suffered near as much oxidation on top, or any separation on the bottom. Trying to buff that out is actually making a good area look worse which wont happen. It is amazing to see how deep and red the flake must have been off the showroom floor. I have gotten her close, but no where near that deep of a red.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-