TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   floor behind the engine box lifts 2003 Prostar 197 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=62301)

tommurtha 07-09-2014 04:38 PM

floor behind the engine box lifts 2003 Prostar 197

2003 Prostar 197, just got it, floor lifts up both underway and after stopping. Lifts a good 4-5 inches Rug & fit seem fine. Any ideas about fixing or why this is happening

prostar205er 07-09-2014 05:03 PM

A picture might help explain what you mean. Typically the floor is screwed down so you might check and see if you are simply missing the screws that would hold it in place.

tommurtha 07-09-2014 06:29 PM

the section directly in back of the box about 2 feet wide Extending to the transom shows no sign of screws. Boat is 90 min away so no pics

brighac 07-09-2014 06:32 PM

Most likely missing the screws. Lowes or any hardware stores should be able to get some. Those are about 3" screws on my boat.

tommurtha 07-09-2014 06:51 PM

can another 2003 or close verify it had screws. The carpet shows no sign of screws. It lifts the entire back of the engine box up. I'll get picks on the weekend if needed

mikeg205 07-09-2014 07:19 PM

floor should be screwed down.. otherwise engine box (dog house can slide and collide with front of spinning engine parts...

sprj 07-09-2014 11:21 PM

Direct drive. Spinny parts on the front of the engine. Front of the engine box is latched. Rear is hinged to the floor piece. Mine is a friction fit between the solid floor panels and the carpet.

No screws.

In mine if I pull up the engine box I can lift up the floor. I'd pull the whole assembly up and put some carpet in the joint between the floor sections and push the middle back down to see if you can get it to bind up so it stays put without screws.

Seems weird that it would loosen up.

02ProstarSammyD 07-10-2014 08:06 AM

Quote:

floor should be screwed down.. otherwise engine box (dog house can slide and collide with front of spinning engine parts...
Mike its a friction fit. My 02 209 was the same way. Became a bit annoying. The carpet is obviously going to compress over time and not fit as well. The back fit is not the problem its the floor fit where the dog house meets. My carpet eventually started coming apart from where it would pop out etc. Make sure you have the front of the doghouse locked down in the front at all times. What about a thin layer of clear silicone on the wall of the floor key?

mikeg205 07-10-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD (Post 1064321)
Mike its a friction fit. My 02 209 was the same way. Became a bit annoying. The carpet is obviously going to compress over time and not fit as well. The back fit is not the problem its the floor fit where the dog house meets. My carpet eventually started coming apart from where it would pop out etc. Make sure you have the front of the doghouse locked down in the front at all times. What about a thin layer of clear silicone on the wall of the floor key?

awkward design - depending on carpet and friction to hold it in. IMO

02ProstarSammyD 07-10-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

awkward design - depending on carpet and friction to hold it in. IMO
To me the design is fine the results just suck after the carpet mats down over time. The only way to access the ballast shutoff is though that floor. In the event of blowing a hose etc I would not want to be pulling out screws to get under the floor.