TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1989 Prostar 190 Restoration (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=59557)

csprange 03-20-2014 09:18 PM

1989 Prostar 190 Restoration

4 Attachment(s)
Hi,
I am new to posting to this forum, used it a fair bit for advice.
I bought my first ski boat last spring and used it all summer (and loved it). This summer I want to fix up a few of the components and get rid of my 'patch jobs' on the inside. Last year I focused on bringing the exterior back to good with hours of oxidation removal and wax/polishes, gave the swim platform a healthy drink of teak oil (it was very thirsty), patched some of the poor interior spots, and had a custom cover made for it.

My questions for this summers to-do list are around the interior:
- I definitely need some new skins or have it all re-upholstered. I emailed Chris at the UpholsteryWorkshop. I am concerned as my skins probably can't be used as templates...

- the driver seat is in very bad shape (skins ripped, foam missing) Can it simply be replaced?

- the slider on the driver seat does not move. Is there a product to fix this other than WD-40? Can I buy a new slider assembly??

- Both speedometers are busted. Can they be repaired? or do they need to be replaced??

I am up in Canada and we still have 2 feet of snow but boating is definitely on my mind now.

csprange 03-20-2014 09:20 PM

First picture is when I first bought it, second is the difference a day of detailing makes, third picture is my awesome patch job with remnants of marine vinyl, fourth is after a season in the water.

atihanyi 03-20-2014 10:37 PM

As far as the speedo goes I used a perfect pass gps speedo and love it and they are reasonably priced too!

gweaver 03-20-2014 11:29 PM

I don't know how bad your rear seat is, and I don't know how much you want to keep it original, but I rebuilt my rear bench and created more storage space. I also removed the ski lockers, which were pretty rotten, to create more room. Haven't replaced them- just going to keep the extra space for walking around. As far as the interior goes, I think I'm going to order the fabric, then have individual pieces done as I can afford it. I figure if I do a good job keeping the boat covered and the seats clean, there shouldn't be too much of a color difference between the first piece done and the last.
G

csprange 03-21-2014 11:48 PM

Atihanyi can you explain more about the perfect pass speedo. Does it fit the existing spot in the dashboard? Will it work with the age of my boat?

Gweaver: the seats and side panels are still in good structural shape so I probably don't need to change them. I do understand the desire for extra space. I put a cup holder from a much newer mastercraft into the passenger side ski locker as a bit of a modification (you can see it in one of the pictures). I probably would keep the same layout and set up as stock but I like your idea of slowing recovering pieces but buying all the material first.

atihanyi 03-22-2014 12:12 AM

Yes it fits the existing hole . The gps reciever is inside the unit so no external puck . It has a digital read out and is almost trouble free . Very easy to install only three wires. keyed power ,constant power and ground if I remember right . Bought mine from Midwest mastercrafts online store for a couple hundred bucks . I think they are a bit more expensive now but you cant beat the accuracy .And yes it will work with any boat

csprange 03-22-2014 11:36 AM

thanks! I'll check it out

catamount 03-28-2014 06:42 PM

Nice boat... where in Canada? The seat sliders are readily available at your local MC dealer for around $35. If you don't have a local dealer, BAWS or RAMBO marine can get them for you.

Jerseydave 03-28-2014 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catamount (Post 1027567)
Nice boat... where in Canada? The seat sliders are readily available at your local MC dealer for around $35. If you don't have a local dealer, BAWS or RAMBO marine can get them for you.

He could try Midwest Mastercraft. Maybe you have not heard but BAWS is no longer in business. Sorry to threadjack.

csprange 03-29-2014 10:58 PM

I will look into those sliders. I ordered the gps speedo, mentioned above in this thread, yesterday.

I'm up in Winnipeg/Lake of the Woods area of Canada. Snow is finally starting to maybe melt....