TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Installing carpet snaps in an X2 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=59304)

lentiman 03-06-2014 11:13 AM

Installing carpet snaps in an X2
 
So, got my boat. It has snap in carpet. However, the snaps that screw into the floor were never installed. They are currently sitting in a baggy in the glove box. Why? Hell if I know. To install them do I just screw them into the floor? Do I need to pre-drill? Anything else? I figure this is an easy job that I'm well up for.

bturner2 03-06-2014 12:26 PM

Are the snaps in the carpet? You would think that this would be a real easy thing to do but I spent a lot time getting mine installed. Even bough the expensive special tool. This was my second set of carpet so I had the snaps in the floor and had to match the one in the carpet to the ones in the floor.

You'll need to drill a pilot hole and even then I would consider using a counter sink to bevel the top of the hole so you don't end up chipping the gel coat when you run the screw into the floor.

lentiman 03-06-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bturner2 (Post 1020153)
Are the snaps in the carpet? You would think that this would be a real easy thing to do but I spent a lot time getting mine installed. Even bough the expensive special tool. This was my second set of carpet so I had the snaps in the floor and had to match the one in the carpet to the ones in the floor.

You'll need to drill a pilot hole and even then I would consider using a counter sink to bevel the top of the hole so you don't end up chipping the gel coat when you run the screw into the floor.

The snaps are in the carpet, but not in the floor. It should be a simple job to go around with a sharpie and mark out where all the snaps go and then drill the pilot holes.

Aric'sX15 03-06-2014 05:06 PM

I thought the carpet uninstalled was like an international thing only, weird that yours didnt come that way.

dt37803 03-06-2014 08:01 PM

my new 14 has snap in MC Shield carpet and the snaps are not installed in the floor yet....Assume the dealer will install as part of pre-delivery

blackhawk 03-06-2014 10:36 PM

Definitely drill pilot holes. I would also run the drill in reverse until you break through the top layer. This will help minimize chipping.

JohnE 03-07-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 (Post 1020286)
I thought the carpet uninstalled was like an international thing only, weird that yours didnt come that way.

Snap in carpets were always dealer installed. Skidog had his dealer refrain from installing the snaps on the deck of his 07 X2. That was the first I realized it was dealer installed and wished I had held of the install on my '08.

Aric'sX15 03-07-2014 12:18 AM

Why wouldn't you want the snaps?

lentiman 03-07-2014 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 (Post 1020441)
Why wouldn't you want the snaps?

Yeah, me too. Why no snaps if you had the choice?

JohnE 03-07-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 (Post 1020441)
Why wouldn't you want the snaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lentiman (Post 1020442)
Yeah, me too. Why no snaps if you had the choice?

Because if you use the boat without the carpet in it ever, you are stepping on them barefoot.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:14 AM.