TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ventless fireplace logs (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58960)

ttu 02-05-2014 10:19 PM

ventless fireplace logs

well since almost all of us are in a deep cold what does anyone know about ventless fire place logs. I currently have a gas fireplace with a flu.

thinking about upgrading the logs to ventless for more heat. any input?

JohnE 02-06-2014 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttu (Post 1011837)
well since almost all of us are in a deep cold what does anyone know about ventless fire place logs. I currently have a gas fireplace with a flu.

thinking about upgrading the logs to ventless for more heat. any input?

I don't think they put out more heat and they are dangerous.

pap 02-06-2014 10:07 AM

Ventless puts a huge amount of moisture into your home. Safety wise they have low oxygen cut-off, so I don't think that's a huge deal anymore. But I wouldn't (and didn't) buy them.

We installed a nice sealed unit with outside venting. It doesn't suck air from the house (it brings in outside air for combustion and vents externally through a single double-walled vent), puts out a huge amount of heat, and keeps the house sealed.

east tx skier 02-06-2014 11:16 AM

We have had ventless for years. Like you, we have a flu and on the recommendation of the plumber who hooked up the fireplace, we leave it open slightly. The advantage of more heat is nice at the cost of looking slightly less realistic than vented logs. I have never encountered any issues with moisture. YMMV.

pap 02-06-2014 12:21 PM

IF you leave a flue open, it's no longer ventless :)

tph 02-06-2014 01:33 PM

Vented vs. Ventless

How does a ventless system work. It seems like the product of combustion would be released into your home. I converted to vented logs this past year and I even have problems from time to time when the flu is cold or there is a backdraft.

ahhudgins 02-06-2014 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 1011903)
I don't think they put out more heat and they are dangerous.

I had no fireplace in my house or the lake house so I installed ventless logs in both over ten years ago. Gas logs are no more dangerous than a wood burning fireplace (less IMO) and 100% of the heat from ventless logs goes into the house. I plan to get a second set of gas logs for the lake house when the price comes down in the spring.:twocents:

aquaman 02-06-2014 02:19 PM

Just remodeled and changed to ventless fireplace.

I thought I would not like it......but it puts out about 3x the heat of the vented variety and; the fakey logs are pretty convincing.

Texans are probably not the most knowledgeable fireplace consultants, we use them mainly for decoration. :)

etduc 02-06-2014 03:04 PM

There is no such thing, as "ventless." It is just venting in a different way.

In an existing fireplace (masonary/metal) it'll vent past a closed leaky damper. In Eastie's case, plumber suggest leaving damper slightly open. Hello, vented!

In loosely built homes, vented thru the cracks, windows,ceilings, existing duct, doors, etc. Hello, vented! You tighten up these areas, you could have moisture related issues. (health/home repair) It is well documented, in the hvac world.

An old school masonary/metal woodburning fireplace, burning oak, produces about 100,000 btuh of heat. The chimney, is designed for that much heat vented material/burnt fuel. A set of 20" gas logs, used in that same fireplace, produces about 40,000 buth of heat. With flue open, you will feel cold air, fall out the fireplace. You have to reduce the damper opening, to reduce the draftiness. (Most gas log sets, include a clamp thingie, to make this adjustment.)

NOTE: btuh difference. Efficiency is actually about the same. About 50% So oak, puts out twice the heat, but also needs about twice the fresh make-up air, to function. Not talking about enclosed gas fireplace/stove system, that's a different thing.

Been awhile, since I sold any gas hearth systems, or log sets.

My company policy, is we never recommend or install ventless gas logs.

Everything has a trade off.

ttu 02-06-2014 03:12 PM

thank you everyone for the input. i guess that is why they are illegal in a few states.