TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mirror vibration (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58663)

atihanyi 01-10-2014 04:43 PM

Mirror vibration

Just remembered that my 1992 prostar mirror (factory) had an issue with this . The boat was new to me as of august last year and when we get up to skiing speed the distortion in the mirror is so bad you cant see anything . Checked all the obvious stuff like loose mount ect and found nothing . Anyone else have this issue and how did you correct it ? The mirror does not vibrate at idle of planning speed just seems to do it above 30mph

drschemel 01-10-2014 04:45 PM

Is the glass loose inside the frame? Sounds strange. Mine is solid, no vibration at all.

atihanyi 01-10-2014 05:01 PM

oops obviously didn't pay attention to where I was when I posted this . hopefully someone who can will move it . No the glass isn't loose in anyway we could find

thatsmrmastercraft 01-10-2014 06:22 PM

Does the engine idle smoothly? How about at speed? Any surging? Have you replaced plugs, dist. cap & rotor, plug wires, checked timing, replaced fuel filters? All of the above can give you a rough running situation to cause a vibration at speed.

drschemel 01-10-2014 06:24 PM

Its probably opening up a wormhole into another dimention. Don't get too close or you might get sucked in.

On things like this, I would try putting my hand on various parts of the mirror and see if I can stop the vibration - on the dash, mounts, mirror frame, and mirror glass, etc and see if I could find where it is loose. I suppose if you had a bent prop or output shaft, you might be getting a high frequency vibration that is affecting the whole boat but visible only in the mirror. Put a glass of water on the dash near the mirror and see if it gets a similar vibration. If your motor was causing the vibration, it should do it when you rev the motor in neutral as well as underway.

ricford 01-10-2014 08:05 PM

My guess is that there is a vibration from the drive. The whole boat is vibrating, it just shows in the mirror. Check your prop for nicks, check shaft alignment, etc.

JRW160 01-10-2014 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricford (Post 1004738)
My guess is that there is a vibration from the drive. The whole boat is vibrating, it just shows in the mirror. Check your prop for nicks, check shaft alignment, etc.

I agree. I have some mirror vibration, and I think it's from a slight ding on one of the blades of the prop. At certain speeds there is no vibration, but at others it's really noticeable.

atihanyi 01-10-2014 09:47 PM

sounds like I should have my prop worked on

thatsmrmastercraft 01-10-2014 09:59 PM

Always start with the basics. If you start with your prop, then rebuild your transmission, then your engine, only to find a fouled plug or a bad spark plug wire, well............you get the idea.:rolleyes:

atihanyi 01-10-2014 10:12 PM

plugs, wires,cap,ect are all new already