TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1983 Damper Plate Replacement (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58589)

83MC 01-03-2014 12:12 PM

1983 Damper Plate Replacement
 
Okay, so I have the proverbial “chatter” at low idle and I have decided to install a new damper plate this winter, within the next few weeks. I will post pictures and document the process as I proceed. Any suggestions ahead of time will be greatly appreciated.

03geetee 01-09-2014 04:39 PM

Subscribing, I hear mine occasionally only when docking if I have to find Reverse to slow her down. Want to rebuild the motor soon anyway so I am hoping I can wait a while longer and do it when shes out.

JTR

mikeg205 01-09-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 83MC (Post 1002475)
Okay, so I have the proverbial “chatter” at low idle and I have decided to install a new damper plate this winter, within the next few weeks. I will post pictures and document the process as I proceed. Any suggestions ahead of time will be greatly appreciated.

Are you able to have the tranny rebuilt while you have it out? How many hours? Kyle has some great pics of propping of the motor while working on it.

Change the rear main seal while you are there as well.

mikeg205 01-09-2014 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03geetee (Post 1004305)
Subscribing, I hear mine occasionally only when docking if I have to find Reverse to slow her down. Want to rebuild the motor soon anyway so I am hoping I can wait a while longer and do it when shes out.

JTR

How many hours on your motor o3? what's it doing that you want to rebuild?

TRBenj 01-10-2014 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 1004407)
Are you able to have the tranny rebuilt while you have it out? How many hours? Kyle has some great pics of propping of the motor while working on it.

Change the rear main seal while you are there as well.

I would not touch the transmission if its not acting up. Pulling it out and putting it back in take an hour or so each way... no need to spend $800+ for a rebuild just because its out.

I also would not consider touching the rear main seal just because the tranny is off, if the seal has shown no signs of leaking. That is a much, much bigger job than a simple damper replacement. Its also a real pain to do with the engine in the boat.

As far as damper tips go, here are a few:
1. Get a quality damper. If you have a Velvet Drive, use the Sachs damper that ebasic sells. High quality and low cost- win/win.

2. Leave transmission mounts on the transmission... its usually easier to remove the mounts from the boat than to remove the mounts from the tranny.

3. Loosen all pinch bolts and jack the back of the engine up before removing the trans from the engine. Support the engine with a bottle jack and some blocks of wood under the exhaust manifolds if you can.

4. On/off is pretty straightforward. Having a second set of hands to wiggle the output coupler on the trans to line up the splines on the input shaft and damper is helpful.

5. If the bolts used to attach the damper do not self-center it, then leave the bolts loose until the tranny is attached. On off center damper is a big no-no. Tighten the bolts through the starter hole or cut a small hole in the bell housing to tighten them (the hole can be plugged with a grommet later).

6. Do not forget to perform a full powertrain alignment afterwards. If you do not have a good grasp of how an alignment is performed, ask! Understanding the concept makes this job very easy- though it can be a little time consuming chasing it around. Understanding exactly what youre trying to accomplish will help you visualize what needs to happen and will prevent you from dialing in a gross amount of misalignment... Ive seen this many times.

03geetee 01-10-2014 05:56 PM

Very good info dude!

Mike,

No bad signs yet and I am approaching 2800hrs but for looks and piece of mind and because I like everything with a motor redone I want to do it.


JTR

mikeg205 01-10-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03geetee (Post 1004697)
Very good info dude!

Mike,

No bad signs yet and I am approaching 2800hrs but for looks and piece of mind and because I like everything with a motor redone I want to do it.


JTR

I am with you... That's why I offered up the additional maintenance while everything was off above. With motors and transmission you have to pay the piper one day. I am just up for doing it one time...

thatsmrmastercraft 01-10-2014 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03geetee (Post 1004697)
Very good info dude!

Mike,

No bad signs yet and I am approaching 2800hrs but for looks and piece of mind and because I like everything with a motor redone I want to do it.


JTR

That is a lot of hours. Proper maintenance goes a long way.

03geetee 01-10-2014 10:48 PM

Boom! She has had timing gear set,water pump,fuel pump,carb,top risers but all in all original as sin and still gets my 220lb *** out of the water.

I love her.

JTR

sent from uranus

mikeg205 01-10-2014 11:59 PM

The ruby lady is on my bucket list to ski behind like Jeff's , jaws, and a number of others





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 PM.