TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Battery's (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58508)

payne04 12-23-2013 10:45 AM

Battery's

Have a 01 mastercraft 205v. Was wonder what battery's I would need or what to do with eletrical system for the upgraded stereo I put in.. I currently got 3 jl 300/4 slash amps and 1 500/1 ... Only have 2 battery's right now.. What do you recommend to do

mikeg205 12-23-2013 10:49 AM

What's the output of your alternator?

payne04 12-23-2013 12:29 PM

Stereo

It's the stock one ...

supreme112279 12-23-2013 02:46 PM

I have 2 optima yellow tops. One for the boat and one dedicated to the stereo. It's a large stereo and I haven't had any issues listening to the radio for hours.

MLA 12-23-2013 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by payne04 (Post 1000415)
Have a 01 mastercraft 205v. Was wonder what battery's I would need or what to do with eletrical system for the upgraded stereo I put in.. I currently got 3 jl 300/4 slash amps and 1 500/1 ... Only have 2 battery's right now.. What do you recommend to do

Are they isolated by a dual-bank battery switch? Do you regularly spend time playing the system while at anchor? The length of time this is done, is going to drive your battery selection, mainly on the "house" side of the switch. For a primary cranking battery, you cant go wrong with a plan old group-24 lead acid marine cranking battery.

For a dedicated house battery, you need to decide what your needs are going to be in terms or amp hours.

payne04 12-23-2013 04:25 PM

Do not sit and play at all... I have to 2 battery's and they are in switch it has 2 0r 1 or all... Not real sure how to set the battery's up like you guys are talking..(house and cranking battery)

rydog 12-23-2013 05:28 PM

I actually was just curious about this subject. I have a 02 X-Star that will have a Syn4, Syn2, and 500 watt polk amp this next year. I currenty have 2 batteries hooked up to a perko switch so I save one for starting the boat and the other to run my audio at the sand bar. Should I upgrade to 3 batteries for this next summer? I ran 2 last summer with two Syn 4s, but now I will have the Syn4, Syn2, and polk 500 watt amp. My alternator is stock and I spend a decent amount of time at the sand bar.

MLA 12-23-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by payne04 (Post 1000488)
Do not sit and play at all... I have to 2 battery's and they are in switch it has 2 0r 1 or all... Not real sure how to set the battery's up like you guys are talking..(house and cranking battery)

If your switch is wired optimal, then its already set up that way. It would be up to you as the operator to designate which one is house and which one is primary cranking.

Based on the above info, I would go with 2 group-24 dual-purpose marine batteries.

MLA 12-23-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rydog (Post 1000504)
I actually was just curious about this subject. I have a 02 X-Star that will have a Syn4, Syn2, and 500 watt polk amp this next year. I currenty have 2 batteries hooked up to a perko switch so I save one for starting the boat and the other to run my audio at the sand bar. Should I upgrade to 3 batteries for this next summer? I ran 2 last summer with two Syn 4s, but now I will have the Syn4, Syn2, and polk 500 watt amp. My alternator is stock and I spend a decent amount of time at the sand bar.

Theres no yes or no answer. The need for more battery amp hours is dependent on how long you want to play and how hard you want to play. But, its always best for the batteries to have more batteries that are cycled shallower, then less batteries that are cycled deeper. If you regularly hang out at the party spot, then adding a 2nd house battery (more Ah's) could be a benefit. Then it may be time to think about some shore charging for that house bank and not rely on the alternator to recharge.

rydog 12-23-2013 06:04 PM

Would adding a third battery be too taxing on the stock alternator? Also if the 1 battery would last for a couple hours that would be fine because then I run the boat a little to charge. Would 1 battery solely used for audio last that long with my set up, estimated of course.