TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New tach wrong hours. How to correct. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58184)

Topp dawg 11-16-2013 02:27 PM

New tach wrong hours. How to correct.

I got a new tach and the hours meter reads 0, does anyone know how to make it display the correct hours?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 11-17-2013 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topp dawg (Post 992021)
I got a new tach and the hours meter reads 0, does anyone know how to make it display the correct hours?

You'll have to figure out which wires on the tachometer control the hours, apply batt voltage for the number of hours, only way, there is no way to "program" the hours.

Topp dawg 11-19-2013 08:25 AM

I have a newer tach that is digital. I don't see how this method could be accomplished.

catamount 11-19-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topp dawg (Post 992467)
I have a newer tach that is digital. I don't see how this method could be accomplished.

Well, your newer tach surely has 12V + and - and the majority of tachs are not checking for RPMS, they're checking for voltage.

Hook up a trickle charger to the appropriate stubs for an hour and see if it counts up. If it does, leave the trickle charger on until you're synced up.

Topp dawg 11-19-2013 12:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My tach has a 5 wire plug.

Ground
7 volt power
12 volt power "for nighttime illumination only"
data "This is the one that tells the gauges what information to display"
Empty

The data wire can only be between 3 and 6 volts. I do not think a trickle charge method would work. I attached a picture from the medallion troubleshooting guide.

76S&S 11-19-2013 01:03 PM

Does the new tach read "0" or "No Data"?

Topp dawg 11-19-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76S&S (Post 992515)
Does the new tach read "0" or "No Data"?

The new tach reads zero.

Table Rocker 11-19-2013 02:34 PM

I would guess the red/white wire runs the clock and the yellow is the needle. I am guessing that because the voltage on the red white wire is constant (7v +/- 0.5) and the yellow wire voltage varies between 3 and 6.

Topp dawg 11-19-2013 02:59 PM

To my knowledge the yellow wire controls the needle for RPMs and the hour meter. This is the data wire that tells the gauge what to show the driver. I asked medallion how to make the hour meter show the correct engine hours but they said it can't be done.

Bouyhead 11-19-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topp dawg (Post 992531)
The new tach reads zero.

Does the the new tach record time?

A friend bought an 04' SN last year advertised w/ 175 hours but the the tach read zero. When we went to pick up the boat we questioned the zero hours and they said it was a new tach and thats why it read zero. I called BS and made a stink, then the tech came out hooked up a laptop and scrolled down to engine hours and you guessed it, 175 hours. Hmmm... my foot does fit in my mouth.

His new tach works, it just started from zero.