TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   2007 X Star Restoration (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58179)

kcslator 11-15-2013 05:33 PM

2007 X Star Restoration

1 Attachment(s)
I recently bought a 2007 X Star at auction for 5,000 which was in need of a lot of TLC. The boat currently does not run and needs all new vinyls. I am starting this thread so people can watch the progress or pitch ideas/things that they have done with their boats that would work on my boat. Below is a list of things that I am working/plan on doing to get it up and running. My biggest issue so far is that I am in Cuba, which makes getting some things a little harder. This is my first boat so please share.

Hull:
small gouge, plan on gel coating myself
paint is faded and chalky, have a PC Buffer (any recommendations on compound)?

Cabin:
Everything is in really good shape in the cabin minus the vinyl, I plan on getting the entire boat upholstered once it is running. (recommendations on material to use or where to order materials from)?

Engine:
It has the Indmar 5.7 MCX in it, the mechanic who used to work on it said it would burn 2 qts of oil after 3-4 hrs of use. The mechanic who is working on it now thinks that is was a bad seal somewhere so had me order a gasket kit for it. I order a complete rebuild kit and it will be installed on Mon/Tue. (anyone heard of similar issue of burning oil)?

Can someone with this engine take some detailed photos for reference?

Trailer:
The trailer also needs a lot of work but I plan on fixing it once I get the boat in the water and can get to it. I see powder coat in its future.

parts ordered:
bow/cockpit cover
bimini top
engine rebuild kit
fulton f2 winch
oil filter
belts
impeller

I sure that I have missed some things but I will be posting pics as I work on each project.

Ironhorse 11-15-2013 06:00 PM

Good luck with the project. At $5K you cant go wrong!

scott023 11-15-2013 06:09 PM

Yep, can't go wrong at that price. What color are you planning to re gel it in? Are you sticking with original color vinyl, or are you going to spice it up some?

jgraham37128 11-15-2013 06:25 PM

Post more pics....

MattsCraft 11-15-2013 06:34 PM

Wow - was it a salt water boat, looks like a SS trailer?

If so, I personally would not want to deal with all the rusted connections and electronics.:(

bsettle1 11-15-2013 06:43 PM

You would pay more for a 07 Rinker - great buy

Bouyhead 11-15-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgraham37128 (Post 991928)
Post more pics....

What he said^^^^^ The more pics, the more input you'll get. Does the motor have a closed cooling system?

03x30 11-15-2013 06:55 PM

I'd buy that all day long at 2x the money.

Couple of points ..

1- Cuba .. definitely a saltwater boat. Is it a saltwater series? I'm guessing its rusted out and is going to need a new motor. $2700 + labor (or there abouts).
2 - the trailer looks ok, its galvanized (not SS) and I wouldn't do anything to it.
3 - Just priced all new skins for a Malibu and it was $2k. So $4k for an upholstery shop or just find skins and DIY. I would stick to white/grey/charcoal on the colors. Don't try to incorporate that blue. Keep it neutral but complimentary inside.

All depends on what you want to do. In the states, I would buy it, fix it, flip it. You don't exactly have a huge resale market (guessing).

Just a dirty penny .. keep rubbing! It will all be worth it in the end.

Tristarboarder 11-15-2013 11:26 PM

His boat info on the signature says it's a SS X2, so he should be fine as far as that goes, and that includes closed cooling.....Sweet find for sure!

Burbon66 11-16-2013 06:36 AM

Is the problem with the interior sun damage? Looks bad considering it's an 07. It must of lived most of its life uncovered. Maybe try to go for a UV stabilised vinyl if you are planning to keep it.