TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Suburban. Rear doors or hatch? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58157)

jakethebt 11-12-2013 10:43 PM

Suburban. Rear doors or hatch?

So, looking for a "new" to me tow vehicle. Looking at used suburbans. Some have two rear doors that open up barn door style. Other versions have the lift up hatch. I have always had the hatch in the past on vans which is nice to stand under in the rain and load, etc. I am a bit worried that the doors would trap you in and be in the way with a trailer hooked up. What is your collective experience with these two types, especially with boating? Does the hatch clear the trailer? Do the doors clear the trailer? Are the doors in the way? Anyone know the rhyme or reason for which is on which vehicle? It does not appear to be year or model specific? So let's hear those opinions...thanks!

scott023 11-12-2013 10:52 PM

The doors are normally harder to find than the hatch. The trailer didnt get in the way of the doors on ours, so I think you should be fine with either.

Skyskiguy 11-13-2013 01:54 AM

FWIW - I've had experience with both set-ups. Currently tow with a GMC Yukon XL with the lift gate. I much prefer the lift gate over the doors. Just my .02.

Jerseydave 11-13-2013 03:25 AM

I had both, prefer the lift gate. The best was the power lift gate on the GMC Denali!

JohnnyB 11-13-2013 05:53 AM

Had both...strongly prefer lift gate

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

web 11-13-2013 07:41 AM

I don't know for sure, but I think 1999 and earlier were doors, 2000-2004 had both options, and 2005+ is just the lift gate.
I like having doors on mine, but only because we've got a FroYo shop and a forklift can set a pallet of frozen yogurt in the back, saving us the time and effort of hand loading it. I think the lift gate would get in the way of that.
The doors do clear the trailer. And, with the receiver-mounted bike rack on I can still crack the doors wide enough to get small things in and out.
Only problem now is one of the doors doesn't want to stay open any more and I haven't looked into how to fix it.

GNA001 11-13-2013 08:13 AM

Wasn't much of a decision for me. Wanted a rear window wiper so bought a burb with the lift gate.

JohnE 11-13-2013 08:53 AM

Never had one, but noticed both options and would prefer lift gate if I were buying.

wakecumberland 11-13-2013 09:04 AM

Ive had both. I much prefer the liftgate. To me and as mentioned earlier, the only way the barn doors would be preferable is if you load with a fork lift. That's the only advantage I see. I am able to easily open my hatch without interfering with the trailer. The glass opening by itself is also convenient for throwing small things in the back without opening the big heavy hatch.

CantRepeat 11-13-2013 09:21 AM

I've had both.

87 tail gate and 91 barn doors.

Barn doors for sure!!!! At some point the roll up window in the tail gate is going to be a POS and will take forever to roll up.