TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Fuelly (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58151)

zsqure 11-12-2013 09:39 AM

Fuelly

Anyone track their fuel usage with an online site, or manually? I have been using fuelly for a couple years now. Interesting to see how much you spend on fuel and the fuel economy or lack of it. I can see how it would benefit the road warriors who are part of TT.

mikeg205 11-12-2013 09:42 AM

I don't - would be too depressing... for me.. ;) -- I was ready to do it when gas was in the high $4's.

scott023 11-12-2013 09:45 AM

I think that would take some of the enjoyment out of the activity for me. I'm sure I spend a lot more than I think I do on fuel. I know what my GPH is, but the money spend on fuel isn't a priority item for me to know. ;)

zsqure 11-12-2013 10:57 AM

I commute 50 miles daily and have spent a little over $2000 for fuel so far this year. I guess that's the nerd in me. My next vehicle will be a TDI, just don't know which one yet. The more I can save on fuel during the week, the more there is for boat toys. My fuel expense would rise about 60% if I were driving a pickup.

Willski 11-12-2013 11:15 AM

Never tracked it, but I have also never reset the fuel useage on my 08 silverado. I'd have to check, but I think I'm pushing 4000 gallons!

88 PS190 11-12-2013 08:18 PM

I track - I used to use an app on my phone, but I wasn't paying for the app, and it wouldn't output the files so when I got a new phone I lost my database which pissed me off.

So I figured out a better method. Google doc form - accessible on my phone. Automatically enters a date in a spreadsheet, asks for 3 things.
Trip
Gallons
Fuel Price.

Click submit and it puts the entry in the data sheet. Since I don't enter odometer it doesn't really matter if I do it every single time, but obviously if you want to track your overall fuel expense you should enter every fuel up.

Why I like it - you can easily do formulas to figure things out like your mileage - or your costs to fuel up, or your cost/mile.

This can automatically be done, or you can for instance sum up months and compare. It will show you when winter fuel comes in, or if you do your snowtires etc. I also have occasionally figured out my tire pressures were low based on reduction in mileage over a few tanks.

c_craig 11-12-2013 09:15 PM

I have never reset the "fuel burned" on my 08 Burb. Will look but I know the number is uncomfortably large. MY son is driving a stick TDI Golf. Great mileage and very fun car to drive.

swardco 11-12-2013 09:48 PM

I have been tracking my cars on fuelly for a few years.

I finally, mostly, have my family trained to text the input to fuelly from the gas station so I don't have to enter every receipt.

I don't do much with the data, but I like looking at it.

swardco 11-12-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsqure (Post 991181)
I commute 50 miles daily and have spent a little over $2000 for fuel so far this year. I guess that's the nerd in me. My next vehicle will be a TDI, just don't know which one yet. The more I can save on fuel during the week, the more there is for boat toys. My fuel expense would rise about 60% if I were driving a pickup.

I've had at least one TDI for about 8 years now. 1997 Passat and a 1998 NB. I think I am just a nerd, but love seeing mileage that is always above 40 and got really excited on the only tank where I got above 50 on a road trip in the NB. Thinking about Jetta Sportwagon in the future when I have to replace a vehicle.