TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Appearance (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Metal flake (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57942)

Fishnhunt 10-23-2013 10:29 PM

Metal flake

I've gotten everything off the boat and taken to powder coat. Sanded the hull and repaired damaged fiberglass. Now I'm trying to decide how to do the paint. I would like ideas on how to do a 89 prostar 190. I'm thinking red metal flake from the water line to the rub rail which will be black. Leave the deck white but the bow metal flake. What do y'all think?

Barefooter92 10-23-2013 10:31 PM

Sweet! Lets see some progress photos! Love the flake!

Fishnhunt 10-23-2013 10:45 PM

I'm trying to get pics up. Help!!!

Fishnhunt 10-23-2013 11:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics. The last is what I am considering doing.

Fishnhunt 10-23-2013 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry here's the other

Fishnhunt 10-23-2013 11:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And one more

bhanson 10-24-2013 12:24 AM

I think metal flake is awesome. Was on a bunch of boats last weekend and metal flake stood out every time, in a very good way. Others have commented that it can take a beating on the dock, and certainly at some point it will look dated, but right now it just looks great. No bigger personal-preference decision than how to paint/gelcoat your boat. Some like plain white, some like gaudy wraps, your red metal flake is right down the middle and very classy, IMO.

Aric'sX15 10-24-2013 12:40 AM

whatever you do, dont just slap on automotive paint. youre planning on re gelling right?

bigmac 10-24-2013 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishnhunt (Post 987405)
I've gotten everything off the boat and taken to powder coat. Sanded the hull and repaired damaged fiberglass. Now I'm trying to decide how to do the paint. I would like ideas on how to do a 89 prostar 190. I'm thinking red metal flake from the water line to the rub rail which will be black. Leave the deck white but the bow metal flake. What do y'all think?

These boats aren't painted, they're gel coated...a polyester resin that forms the first layer in the mold when the hull was laid up. No paint involved. If you've sanded away parts of the gel coat, you had better carefully research what you're going to replace that fundamental hull component with. Automotive paint just isn't going to do it. I would go talk to a boat fiberglass guy or body shop that does boats to get further advice before proceeding.

bturner2 10-24-2013 08:29 AM

X2 with Mac. You could be setting yourself up for some adhesion issues at minimum. From a resale perspective you'll pretty much be the last owner or at least the last one that knows anything about boats if you use automotive paint. Most boats painted like this have issues with the finish within a couple years.

I realize this is an older boat that you're most likely pulling this one back from the brink but I would seriously consider going with gelcoat or at least finding out what the cost difference would be to do it right. You've already done the hard work of the 80/20 (80% prep, 20% spray/buff) rule of refinishing. See if the cost difference of going with gel is a possibility.

As far as flake goes..... I'll bet it's going to cost a significant premium for the materials and if you scratch it matching the repair will be more difficult. It would look great though.