TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Storage / Winterization (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Winterizing with bucket question? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57920)

TSchimizzi 10-21-2013 02:27 PM

Winterizing with bucket question?
 
I'm winterizing my (new to me) 1990 PS190. On previous boats I have pulled the water inlet hose at the hull and sucked the antifreeze from there. After searching this forum I see a lot of people attaching the hose at the raw water pump, bypassing the transmission cooler. I would prefer to do it this way as its easier to get at and doesn't break the seal at the hull, however I can imagine there is some water lying in the transmission cooler lines.

Which method is recommended?

thatsmrmastercraft 10-21-2013 02:37 PM

It is best not to bypass the trans cooler. Even though you never put the trans into gear, the pump is still turning and the cooler should still be utilized. I have a 1 1/4" hose (permanently attached to the tub I use) that I connect to the trans cooler inlet. Easy to get to and effective.

thatsmrmastercraft 10-21-2013 02:38 PM

There is no water in the trans cooler lines, just the trans cooler. The lines contain trans fluid and are sealed from the water.

mikeg205 10-21-2013 03:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just make urself one of these

no more taking the hose off the hull - just the back of the trans cooler...

prostar205er 10-21-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 986908)
Just make urself one of these

no more taking the hose off the hull - just the back of the trans cooler...

So where exactly do you attach that Mike? Do you place that on the intake end of the pump (after removing the other end of the hose that is attached to the hull)?

mikeg205 10-21-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostar205er (Post 986913)
So where exactly do you attach that Mike? Do you place that on the intake end of the pump (after removing the other end of the hose that is attached to the hull)?

I attach it to the rear inlet on the trans cooler. I hate taking off the hose attach to the hull.

bigmac 10-22-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TSchimizzi (Post 986894)
I'm winterizing my (new to me) 1990 PS190. On previous boats I have pulled the water inlet hose at the hull and sucked the antifreeze from there. After searching this forum I see a lot of people attaching the hose at the raw water pump, bypassing the transmission cooler. I would prefer to do it this way as its easier to get at and doesn't break the seal at the hull, however I can imagine there is some water lying in the transmission cooler lines.

Which method is recommended?

I suspect that the transmission cooler is downstream from the pump on your boat. Attaching to the RW inlet wouldn't bypass the cooler.

As to the transmission cooler lines, there are none that contain water. Transmission oil is circulated through the cooler. The water path out of the RW pump through the cooler is just a straight 1 1/4 inch shot. The cooler is vertical...should self-drain promptly.

bochnak 10-22-2013 01:49 PM

If the trans is in neutral, it is not going to generate enough heat to need that cooler hooked up. You can verify by grabbing the cooler from time to time to monitor temp.

If you are running for an extended period of time, then yes, I would hook it up to cooler.

mikeg205 10-22-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bochnak (Post 987130)
If the trans is in neutral, it is not going to generate enough heat to need that cooler hooked up. You can verify by grabbing the cooler from time to time to monitor temp.

If you are running for an extended period of time, then yes, I would hook it up to cooler.

why worry - ;) just hook it up and forget it... the MCOCD is not strong with you yet Bochnak... lol

soacj 10-22-2013 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmac (Post 987126)
I suspect that the transmission cooler is downstream from the pump on your boat. Attaching to the RW inlet wouldn't bypass the cooler.

Raw water inlet feeds the trans cooler (does a fine job filtering out debris...) and then goes to the pump.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.