TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Storage / Winterization (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Winterized - 3gal of RV - nothing out exhaust (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57914)

bochnak 10-21-2013 07:42 AM

Winterized - 3gal of RV - nothing out exhaust

I winterized this weekend, motor is a Indmar TBI 5.7.

Drained the both exhaust manifolds, both block plugs, removed and drained all hoses/impeller.

I ran the motor and sucked up 3gal of RV anti freeze and was hoping I would see pink come out exhaust flaps. I got nothing but a bit of clear water.

How many gallons do you guys go through in order to get the pink stuff spit out the back? There is no mention in anything I've read about water in mufflers being a problem.

mikeg205 10-21-2013 08:51 AM

I run 5- 6 to get some out of exhaust... iirc 3 gallons fills the hoses, block and manifolds.

jkski 10-21-2013 09:15 AM

If the engine was nice and hot when you drained everything, 4 gallons will fill everything and spill some out the exhaust.

Ski-me 10-21-2013 10:36 AM

I used 6 gallons.....

bochnak 10-21-2013 10:50 AM

Thanks guys.

The engine was cold at the time. So should I be concerned that I did not use enough? In all the reading I've done, addressing water in mufflers was never covered. After all, all you need to do is drain everything. I took an extra step to add RV.

After sucking up 3 gal of RV, I pulled a exhaust plug and was 100% pink. I cracked the block petcock and also was pink. I pulled the temp sender and RV came out. I pulled the sender to test resistance values.

Add more or leave it?

Ski-me 10-21-2013 11:35 AM

I had the same result last year.....not warm enough engine to circulate everything.

I pulled my knock sensor and clear water came out. Be sure to pull that. Drain any heater hoses/shower hoses and blow out with compressed air.

I removed the lanyard kill switch and then cranked the engine a few times to blow out any water (don't know if this is the correct way or not, but I felt better :) ).

I also pulled my thermostat and just poured in a cup or two of regular anti-freeze coolant as a precaution. Be sure to start up in spring in your driveway so the coolant doesn't get into any lakes.

Pull out your impellar too. Leave hoses off to dry out.

Drive boat around with hoses off to get any excess water sloshed out. Drive up and down hills, left and right turns. Just gives you a little piece of mind.

I think you are pretty close though....

bochnak 10-21-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ski-me (Post 986816)
I had the same result last year.....not warm enough engine to circulate everything.

I pulled my knock sensor and clear water came out. Be sure to pull that. Drain any heater hoses/shower hoses and blow out with compressed air.

I removed the lanyard kill switch and then cranked the engine a few times to blow out any water (don't know if this is the correct way or not, but I felt better :) ).

I also pulled my thermostat and just poured in a cup or two of regular anti-freeze coolant as a precaution. Be sure to start up in spring in your driveway so the coolant doesn't get into any lakes.

Pull out your impellar too. Leave hoses off to dry out.

Drive boat around with hoses off to get any excess water sloshed out. Drive up and down hills, left and right turns. Just gives you a little piece of mind.

I think you are pretty close though....

I drained all water before sucking up RV. I pulled both petcock and knock sensor out along with draining all hoses including impeller. I probably could have left it as is.

I might uptake another 3 gal next time I go up to get it into the mufflers.

Barefooter92 10-21-2013 12:59 PM

5 gal. But make sure the boat is level or leaning back. I winterized yesterday in a new location and it was sitting bow low and had trouble pushing water though the exhaust.

bochnak 10-21-2013 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barefooter92 (Post 986833)
5 gal. But make sure the boat is level or leaning back. I winterized yesterday in a new location and it was sitting bow low and had trouble pushing water though the exhaust.

I'll just have to crank up the trailer jack.

willyt 10-21-2013 02:14 PM

yeah, i follow the same method of dry blocking before sucking up any antifreeze. it does take more than 3 gallons before it starts spitting out the exhaust.

with this method, you should have nothing but undiluted antifreeze in the block.