TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Gelcoat Blisters - now what (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57865)

19_Skier 10-16-2013 02:03 PM

Gelcoat Blisters - now what

7 Attachment(s)
Well this is certainly not how I planned to end the boating season. Took the boat out on Saturday to winterize then while cleaning the hull noticed what appear to be blisters in the gelcoat. They are sporadic across the entire hull under the water line predominantly on driver side, but I also noticed some on the passenger side. On top of that, the prop was sent in to get refurbished and I noticed the prop shaft is in need of an alignment.

Anyone had to deal with gelcoat blisters? Any ideas on costs to get this fixed? I sent these photos in to a couple of repair shops now just waiting to hear back.

ttu 10-16-2013 02:19 PM

i had them on my old 2005 supra ssv22. the dealer and skier's choice accused me of leaving the boat in the water for long periods of time. i told them it was always trailered and only left in the water for 3 nights while on vacation at table rock. also they blisters were exactly where the trailer bunks were. well since the boat was less than a year old they "skier's choice" repaired the blisters along with gel coat cracks on the deck from the tower.

well the following summer all the blisters came back. this time skier's choice wanted to send the boat back to the factory and break it apart and put a new hull on it. i refused to do that and had them repair the blisters again and sold the boat.

JohnE 10-16-2013 03:21 PM

That's a tough one. How long do you leave it in the water? I'd find a way to keep it out of the water and just leave them alone. It doesn't look like the damage there will affect the boat much as long as you don't leave it in the water. Or even better have them repaired. Even if you have them repaired you can't risk leaving it in the water for extended time. Your other choice is a bottom paint and then you can leave it in. But that will de-value the boat I believe.

19_Skier 10-16-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 985732)
That's a tough one. How long do you leave it in the water? I'd find a way to keep it out of the water and just leave them alone. It doesn't look like the damage there will affect the boat much as long as you don't leave it in the water. Or even better have them repaired. Even if you have them repaired you can't risk leaving it in the water for extended time. Your other choice is a bottom paint and then you can leave it in. But that will de-value the boat I believe.

leaving the boat in the water for the summer is very, very common here so I really never thought anything of it. Perhaps a lot just live with blisters or it just isn't that common, I am not sure. I am going to wait until I see what the quotes are before I decide, on one hand I am trying to tell myself just to live with it but on the other it is already stressing me out and I'm not sure I could put my boat back in the lake next year knowing the blisters are there.

ricford 10-16-2013 06:15 PM

Mine sits in the water all summer, and I've never had a blister in the 3 years I've owned it.

snork 10-16-2013 07:31 PM

2001 had a know defect in the gel, should be covered under the life time warranty

19_Skier 10-16-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snork (Post 985768)
2001 had a know defect in the gel, should be covered under the life time warranty

seriously? everything I have found said mastercraft does not warranty blistering of the gelcoat.

mikeg205 10-16-2013 08:18 PM

sad irony - can't leave a boat in water... :confused:

88 PS190 10-16-2013 08:28 PM

There is a whole sheet in my 88's manual in regards to gel coat blistering and MC's recommendation to have the boat bottom painted if it was gonna sit in the water.

uplander 10-16-2013 09:00 PM

I would get them fixed, find a local fiberglass shop and get opinions also. They are not a good thing to have