TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Repair of MDC 1600? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57814)

Mark rsa2au 10-12-2013 10:24 PM

Repair of MDC 1600?

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ben able to strip their MDC1600 unit down and repiar whatever is leaking from the speedo tubes?

My MDC unit is leaking water from the speedo tubes and the Oil guage has stopped working. After a few days for drying out the Oil guage returnes to normal. When we spend a few days on the water the guage pod begins to play up. I suspect that (from valuable info on this forum) the water that is dripping from the speedo tubes is getting into the MDC unit and causing issues.

I have sent Medallion an email requesting a price for a new MDC1600 module/box programed to my X5. With the cost of the unit and the freight to get it to Australia I might be in for more than I want to.

I am sure if I can find what is faulty I can find an electronics person to replace it locally?

Anybody been able to do this??

Cheers
Mark

AlbertaSurfer 10-12-2013 11:12 PM

I took mine apart to peek inside when it was shot from being filled with water. The little diagram that breaks and allows water in is on the inside of the circuit board. The board is placed on plastic pegs, then the plastic is melted to secure it. You'd have to break it out. If water got in there, it's likely done.

AlbertaSurfer 10-12-2013 11:16 PM

How much did they quote you? I got one shipped to Canada for $350

Mark rsa2au 10-12-2013 11:38 PM

Thanks Mate!

I had hoped it would have been easier than that, just solder it out an replace with a new diaphram....! Bummer

I only sent Medallion an email today so will only hear back Monday / Tuesday with a price.

Cheers
Mark

swatguy 10-17-2013 02:23 PM

Unfortunately the MDC is a solid glued in piece the only way to dismantle it is to "break" it so to speak. Especially the diaphragm area it's leaking from. You have two choices. Forget about it, if you have perfect pass the boat will run fine without it, or buy new one.

The MDC just went up from the old 299-300 range to 600. Medallion allegedly only builds them to order now I was told so they they upped the price being it's a special piece nowadays. I called around to several dealers and was able to find one still marked at the old price. I do know waterskis.com/midwest mastercraft has them in stock but they have already marked them up to the new price.

Mark rsa2au 10-21-2013 07:59 PM

Hey Guys, Just a quick update.

I contacted the guys at Medalion. The MDC-1600 is "Not repairable" so I was a little annoyed but they were realy helpfull and sorted me out with a new unit for $270 delivered to Melbourne Australia in 4 days... AWESOME!!!

I pulled the medalion MDC from the boat and managed to seperate it using a heat gun to soften the glue and lever it open, but it still cracked. Looks like the water has done some dammage. Was going to try to repair and keep as a spare but.... Considdering it took 12 years before this one broke, it might be a fruitless exercise?

Cheers
Mark

dummy 10-22-2013 09:11 AM

I've got my MDC 1600 sitting right here next to me. My gauges haven't worked for a couple seasons. I opened mine up and it was dry as a bone with no corrosion. The dessicant package is still in one piece as well.

This past weekend we were on the water so I followed the troubleshooting link http://www.epicmarine.com/docs/MDCtrouble.PDF and was getting 12 volts to both the red and purple wires on the 18-pin harness, so apparently it's my MDC.

I've been trying to contact Medallion via the contact info (phone/email) listed on their website. No humans ever pick up the phone and so far no reply. How long did it take you to get a response and what number/email did you use to contact them, if you don't mind me asking.

AlbertaSurfer 10-22-2013 09:58 AM

carin.thomas@medallionis.com
616-847-3700

If I remember right, it took about a week to hear from them. Just drop Carin an email and let it ride, she'll get back to you. According to my invoice, I paid $228USD plus shipping.

dummy 10-22-2013 10:53 AM

Email sent! Thanks for the contact.

Mark rsa2au 10-23-2013 09:27 AM

Hey Dummy,

Sorry Mate, missed your post. I contacted them via their contact form on line and they replied in a few hours. The lady who I delt with was: Traci Watson[traci.watson@medallionis.com].

Traci was very efficient and once I placed the order, Carin as posted above finalised the purchase and posting.

Hope this helps.