TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Audio/Stereo (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Wiring up head unit - ACC or HOT or Switch (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57748)

bochnak 10-08-2013 09:27 AM

Wiring up head unit - ACC or HOT or Switch

I know this has been discussed before.

I'm installing a new head unit and can think of 3 ways of wiring it up:

1. ACC - Pros: you'll never drain the batt. Cons: I kill the motor when unloading/loading skiers. I'm sure if I go from ON > OFF > ACC the unit will probably skip a beat. There will be a ton of young kids on boat so they might turn on #2 or #3 below.

2. HOT all the time - Wire red and yellow to batt and use radio switch as ON/OFF. Cons: May drain batt if left on and kids will mess with it. Pros: Won't skip a beat.

3. Rocker ACC switch - Same as #2 above except you have a rocker switch with indicator light.

I'm leaning towards #1 since it is foolproof and there will be kids in the mix.

MLA 10-08-2013 09:57 AM

I prefer option #3 and use an illuminated rocker/toggle. Light on = radio = dead battery next trip out.

But, option #3 has the yellow MEM wired to B+ and the rocker/toggle switches the red turn-on wire. this insures that the head-unit sees the same battery reference as the rest of the audio system.

Traxx822 10-08-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bochnak (Post 983736)
I know this has been discussed before.

I'm installing a new head unit and can think of 3 ways of wiring it up:

1. ACC - Pros: you'll never drain the batt. Cons: I kill the motor when unloading/loading skiers. I'm sure if I go from ON > OFF > ACC the unit will probably skip a beat. There will be a ton of young kids on boat so they might turn on #2 or #3 below.

2. HOT all the time - Wire red and yellow to batt and use radio switch as ON/OFF. Cons: May drain batt if left on and kids will mess with it. Pros: Won't skip a beat.

3. Rocker ACC switch - Same as #2 above except you have a rocker switch with indicator light.

I'm leaning towards #1 since it is foolproof and there will be kids in the mix.

I have mine run like option 2. Prefer it that way. I do have a perko switch that shuts everything down except my auto bilge.

How will the kids mess with it?

bochnak 10-08-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLA (Post 983745)
I prefer option #3 and use an illuminated rocker/toggle. Light on = radio = dead battery next trip out.

But, option #3 has the yellow MEM wired to B+ and the rocker/toggle switches the red turn-on wire. this insures that the head-unit sees the same battery reference as the rest of the audio system.

Yes, that is how I pictured #3 option. The rocker has an illuminated indicator light. The yellow would be hot all the time for memory.

cbryan70 10-08-2013 10:05 AM

What audio are you going to put in it?

jschildm 10-08-2013 10:40 AM

In my 98 205 I can go from running and turn directly to the ACC position and the radio does not go off. If I pause in the off position, then it does go off.

bochnak 10-08-2013 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jschildm (Post 983760)
In my 98 205 I can go from running and turn directly to the ACC position and the radio does not go off. If I pause in the off position, then it does go off.

OK. What if you go from ACC to START position? Does the radio stay on while cranking?

bochnak 10-08-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbryan70 (Post 983751)
What audio are you going to put in it?

An inexpensive marine unit non CD, only aux usb SD card. No amps and a pair of rear speakers for now.

jschildm 10-08-2013 12:39 PM

From ACC back to RUN doesn't shut it off, but I believe when cranking it does go off momentarily. Now that you ask I can't remember.

jschildm 10-08-2013 12:39 PM

I am hoping to get out again in the next couple days, I will make sure to pay more attention.