TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Replace boat buddy with roller (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57429)

adam355 09-16-2013 09:35 PM

Replace boat buddy with roller

I have trashed two boat buddies and have a nightmare of a time getting the boat all the way up to the pin correctly. I would prefer to just get it close and then winch it up and forget the whole boat buddy. Please dont respond with telling me how to correctly use the boat buddy, I am throwing in the towel.
Anyway I found this roller, but not sure what else is involved. Can someone else that have done this project explain any parts or pieces that I am missing? As far as I know all i do it take the boat buddy off and put this directly in its place using a similar bolt.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...2&merchID=4006

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

mikeg205 09-16-2013 09:53 PM

you are correct - many here have removed their boat buddy - I like my boat buddy at this point.

mgs96ps 09-16-2013 09:56 PM

Selling old boat buddy?

markmcfarland 09-16-2013 10:24 PM

I have no problems getting boat buddy to work. But what do you guys do to keep it from marking up the bow or at least best way to clean marks off. I would replace with a roller also but I like the security of the pin in addition to the strap.

CruisinGA 09-16-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markmcfarland (Post 978588)
I have no problems getting boat buddy to work. But what do you guys do to keep it from marking up the bow or at least best way to clean marks off. I would replace with a roller also but I like the security of the pin in addition to the strap.

Add chain for additional security when using only winch w/o boat buddy.
Use transom straps as well.

mgs96ps 09-16-2013 11:03 PM

FYI...you should not pull boat around with pin fired across eye.. Pin only to be used to pull boat out of water...then pull pin back to saftey and secure with strap only. Buddy will fail prematurely if used while driving. Set pin to fire position when launching...so its ready to go at return and your wife does not need to get out of truck.

FrankSchwab 09-16-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgs96ps (Post 978601)
FYI...you should not pull boat around with pin fired across eye.. Pin only to be used to pull boat out of water...then pull pin back to saftey and secure with strap only. Buddy will fail prematurely if used while driving.

Not if used correctly. When my wife drives the boat on the trailer, and the boat buddy latches, the boat invariably slides backward until stopped by the boat buddy. I hook up the winch, use it to pull the boat forward half an inch, and pull out to go dry off. With the half inch clearance, there's nothing touching the BB pin. Nothing will fail prematurely, and the BB is still there as a secondary means of keeping the boat on the trailer. And, I can pull the BB pin easily the next time we hit the lake.

mgs96ps 09-16-2013 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankSchwab (Post 978605)
Not if used correctly. When my wife drives the boat on the trailer, and the boat buddy latches, the boat invariably slides backward until stopped by the boat buddy. I hook up the winch, use it to pull the boat forward half an inch, and pull out to go dry off. With the half inch clearance, there's nothing touching the BB pin. Nothing will fail prematurely, and the BB is still there as a secondary means of keeping the boat on the trailer. And, I can pull the BB pin easily the next time we hit the lake.

So you get out of boat and/or truck before pulling out?

markmcfarland 09-16-2013 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankSchwab (Post 978605)

That's how I have done it since my I bought my other boat 03 x2 brand new. That's how dealer showed me. That boat buddy survived till I sold boat 2 months ago. I still like the extra security of the boat buddy since mc didn't put a chain on the trailer. I'd rather replace a boat buddy if I have to. It may have to go and chain be added if it keeps marking up the 09 xstar. Anyone else have this problem with the xstars

Aric'sX15 09-16-2013 11:31 PM

had the scuffing problem on my 15 and i hated it.