TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   1995 Maristar 225 VRS LT1 (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57325)

KTZ_MC 09-10-2013 03:12 PM

1995 Maristar 225 VRS LT1

5 Attachment(s)
I would like to start off by saying a huge “THANKS!” to everyone on this forum. Throughout the process I have gotten a ton of great ideas from others and found help resolving issues through the restoration process. When I bought the boat it was in fairly good condition, it just showed it’s true age more so than I cared for. Most of the work I have done this year is cosmetic, and next year I will be focusing on performance for surfing/wakeboarding. I will start off by adding pictures from when I got the boat in March.Attachment 100912

Attachment 100913

Attachment 100914

Attachment 100915

Attachment 100916

KTZ_MC 09-10-2013 05:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
The first thing I did was to remove the original registration numbers and the boat name. The original owner decided that putting "I feel the need..." on the back was better than Mastercraft and had them painted on. I found that Easy-Off oven cleaner works wonders removing old paint but it was a bit time consuming. Here it is with the boat name removed, as well as the warning stickers

Attachment 100919

I also removed the ski ladder that came with it. I found that everyone kept leaving it down and it didn't look very good. Anyone have complaints not having a ladder? I know it didn't come with the boat,and it seemed it was only getting used when the ladies had to pee.... I replaced the boat name with domed chrome decals from waterskis.com and I think it looks much cleaner

Attachment 100920

I also wanted to replace the swim deck padding, although I don't have the funds for a new one at the moment. I found a roll of shop flooring at harbor freight and cut it to size as a temporary solution until I can find the $ for a Seadek faux

Attachment 100921teak

Traxx822 09-10-2013 05:32 PM

Congrats, Wlecome and nice boat. I have the 200VRS version of yours. I love mine and have done a lot to it. If you have questions you have come to the right place for answers.

I can't say I'm stoked about your mirror decal on the back but if you like it thats all that matters. I just ordered my Seadek pad. I ordered mine in cool grey and it is almost white. I like it a lot. Haven't put it on yet but it is awesome. Paid $250. I would stay away from the faux teak. I think it would look hoakey on the molded platform imho

Be sure to watch your rub rail for leaks. I had to replace mine. I don't have the same engine so I can't give you any advice on that. Except don't power turn too much. :D

Other than that your boat looks great.

Was the interior replaced recently. It looks new but they kept the same design.

Oh, and I don't have the ladder and no one has any trouble.

KTZ_MC 09-10-2013 06:45 PM

Thanks Traxx! I would love to see a picture of your swim deck when you get the seadek on! I was pretty torn with what color to go with and I thought the faux teak could be interesting but it's good to hear other opinions. What's the best way to tell if the rub rails are leaking? They are in pretty good condition but definitely something i'll keep my eye on. The interior is original from what I can tell but I hate the purple and that is something I am definitely going to change...

Traxx822 09-10-2013 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll throw in a couple idea's for you.

If your rub rail looks like it does in this video then you have a problem :D :D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNDLPeEf1uw I took a video of mine leaking. I never noticed the leak until I started surfing the boat. The angle of attach against the water was all it took to make my rub rail leak profusely.

I installed a rub rail from Ranger boats since it was heavy duty and looked the same (better quality than the mc) double the rivets and 3M 5200 the heck out of it.

Here is a photo of my interior. I have the same blue and silver stripe on the hull but my interior was originally grey, silver, blue and of course white. I dropped the third color (grey) and kept the other two. You could easily do a blue white interior that would match the exterior. Agreed the purple is awful. In great shape but ... but it's purple.

Here is a photo of my new interior.

KTZ_MC 09-10-2013 09:48 PM

That interior looks awesome! I would like to do something similar but that will have to wait at least until next year. Thanks for the video, when I get the ballast installed I will keep an eye out for leaks but yours was very obvious. I have a surfboard on order that I should get this week and I am going to see how the boat does with 400lbs in the ski locker and all the passengers in the back.

KTZ_MC 09-10-2013 09:56 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I wanted to update the dash but I wasn't sure what the best way to do it was. I decided to try some carbon fiber wrap and use the original dash as a backing. It had some pretty bad cracks and was faded. I am happy with how it turned out except for getting the lettering back on the switch panel. I found some hobby letters that are used for model trains but I haven't had a chance to put them on so for now I just used a label maker to keep everything straight.

Before;
Attachment 100944

After;

Attachment 100945

Attachment 100948

When I ordered the transom decal I also picked up a new set of domed decals for the side, removed the 225 VRS EFI and replaced/ moved the registration from the side of the boat to the front(where it should have been...)

Attachment 100946

Attachment 100947

LaRue 09-10-2013 10:00 PM

Really like the carbon fiber upgrade! Nice work

Traxx822 09-10-2013 10:32 PM

I see you also changed the side decals. You dont like the ones on there now. In your original photo they are silver and blue. If you changed them all to the chrome you have in the back I think it would round it out better.

I love your dash. I have been pondering what to do with mine. I got the PP and now and know the gauges I'm getting this winter. But mine is cracked and I don't like the bland grey it is now.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

MI_Corey 09-10-2013 10:45 PM

Doing my dash soon too. May just put counter top laminate over it and get labeled rocker switches.