TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   DIY Underdeck roof (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57267)

CruisinGA 09-07-2013 08:48 PM

DIY Underdeck roof

Long story short, my fiancÚ and I are under contract on our first house.
I will have to build the detached garage a little down the road, so in the meantime I am planning to install a DIY under deck roof so I have a dry place for the stand up jet skis and dirtbikes.

Has anyone done a DIY Underdeck roof? Specific products to use or not use? Word of hard-earned wisdom?

maxpower220 09-07-2013 09:11 PM

Perhaps you can describe what an under deck roof is. I've built sheds, carports, and turned carports into garages, but I'm not sure what you want built.

I even did a yahoo search.

Tristarboarder 09-07-2013 09:44 PM

Try Google. :D

stuie 09-08-2013 07:24 AM

Instead of trying to build an underdeck roof, why not just re-deck with this stuff
http://www.fsihp.com/products/deckin...rproof-decking
I'm thinking of using it for the cottage I am building.

Stuart

Ben 09-08-2013 08:39 AM

I used metal roofing upside down. Hardest part was the treated 2x2 lattice I made to attach it to. I had to put up 2 levels of it so the ones the roof bolted to would run "in line" with the panels.

Very economical + matches the aluminum trim on the house.

I still need to skin the support beam. I had gutters installed as well, as I have it pitching to the beam from both sides. Works great.

Paid itself off the 1st time I sat underneath with kid and a cold one during the rain....

Pm for pics or if you want to chat. I am not set up to post from my phone anymore apparently.

Ryan 09-09-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CruisinGA (Post 976133)
Long story short, my fiancÚ and I are under contract on our first house.
I will have to build the detached garage a little down the road, so in the meantime I am planning to install a DIY under deck roof so I have a dry place for the stand up jet skis and dirtbikes.

Has anyone done a DIY Underdeck roof? Specific products to use or not use? Word of hard-earned wisdom?

I did this with my current house. Couldn't have bought it otherwise since we were dropping from 3 car garages in the last 2 houses. I built a slanted support stucture to ensure water flowed away from the house, attached & overlapped corrugated-galvanized roofing with self-tapping deck screws and attached a rain gutter at the end to reduce water impact. I built barn doors for easy access for the lawn stuff, extra bikes, roof cargo box, and other stuff and will try to take some pics for ya if you're interested. It stays bone dry and already had a gravel floor.

jkcTN 09-09-2013 01:11 AM

I'm looking to build something similar. Please share pics.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

CruisinGA 09-09-2013 07:54 AM

Ben - You have a PM

Ryan - Please post pics!

I have read some mixed reviews on using plastic materials, so I was leaning towards metal. Would really like to see what you guys did.

Part of the battle is low ceiling height at the end close to the house, so I have to try to keep the roof as close to the underside of the deck as possible.

JohnE 09-09-2013 09:23 AM

There is a product made that goes under the decking. That allows you to put a nice ceiling on the underside, add lighting, etc. I don't know what the product was named but a quick search should pull it up.

Ryan 09-09-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 976457)
There is a product made that goes under the decking. That allows you to put a nice ceiling on the underside, add lighting, etc. I don't know what the product was named but a quick search should pull it up.

I looked at one of those. Oasis something or other. Spendy and more fancy than I needed since I just wanted it for storage.

I'll try to get some pics this evening.