TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   To Sell a Trailer or Not (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=57091)

cmarston 08-29-2013 02:21 PM

To Sell a Trailer or Not

I have an 03 Mastercraft X-30 trailer. I grew up on saltwater and have taken it in saltwater a handful of times, but next summer I intend to do a lot more saltwater boating (the boat's engine has the closed cooling). As such, no matter how good I try to clean it, the trailer will inevitably start showing the signs of saltwater use and will need to be replaced down the line.

I hate to see such a nice trailer detiorate and know the cost of a galvanized trialer will set me back a pretty penny. However, at least, it won't show the signs of rust for a long time down the road, so long as it is maintained. I have heard a lot of people state that I am better off just using my existing trailer until it can no longer be used, but, again, it is tough to see such a nice trailer deteriorate.

I would like to hear any members' opinions as to whether they have had to make this decision and what they did or whether any members have had any luck selling used Mastercraft trailers on their own w/o a boat on it. It seems to me that since these are made for the specific boat they will be hard to unload, so I might be stuck using it until the rust eats it up. Thanks in advance!

cal69 08-29-2013 02:42 PM

I'd say just keep it. My boat sees a lot of saltwater use and at some point trailers just become expendable. Most of my friends put their boats and trailers into the saltwater and we do our best to clean them but rust never sleeps! You are faced with trying to get top dollar for your painted trailer and upgrade to galvanized or aluminum. You can get a LOT of use out of your current trailer before it becomes scrap.

I just blasted and painted mine and it will surely rust again but that's part of boating here for us. Use the boat often or sell it, right? Without saltwater use, I'd be lucky to put 20-25 hrs on it a year.

We use one friend's boat the most (4+ times a month, almost year round) and although his trailer is starting to get rusty in places, it is really not bad at all considering how much salt use it sees. And he has been doing this for 5-6 years or more now.

Just my opinion and experience.

cmarston 08-29-2013 04:23 PM

Thanks for the input. That seems to be the consensus. Its hard to let those trailers get rusty, though. I cringe everytime I have to dunk it in saltwater.

thatsmrmastercraft 08-29-2013 04:35 PM

As the current trailer will ultimately get rusty and unserviceable (worth nothing), and you will have to replace it, it would seem prudent to sell the original trailer while it is worth something and buy galvanized or aluminum trailer sooner rather than later.............assuming the budget allows for that.

AZDave 08-29-2013 04:38 PM

If it still intact, strip it down and get it hot dipped galvanized. Don't waste any effort with paint. Remove the brakes and upgrade to discs. You can check trailer for internal rust with a ball peen hammer. Dead spots will be obvious. Do not use it in salt and tow to failure. This fix can be done for 1/3 the price of a new one. Still kicking myself for not doing this.

highline 08-29-2013 11:17 PM

The rust that will get you when you don't expect it is the rust coming from the inside out, and even galvanized trailers start to show rust with a lot of salt water use. I have an aluminum trailer for my boat and I couldn't be happier. The savings in weight is nice too.

TxsRiverRat 08-30-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highline (Post 973600)
The rust that will get you when you don't expect it is the rust coming from the inside out,

Yep - 100% spot on

03x30 09-26-2013 11:09 PM

I wish you weren't so far away .. I'd love to give you some cash for it. Still looking ..