TeamTalk (
-   General / Other (
-   -   Hull foam? (

Hammer 08-22-2013 01:59 PM

Hull foam?
My brother has an older Dixie I/O and had to make some repairs to the infloor gas tank. It was packed in with foam and had to be cut out. His question is what type of foam to use? Can he just run down to the home center and grab a few cans of low expansion "Great Stuff" and be done? I know closed cell foam is probably best but he likes to do things on the cheap.;)

johnnye23 08-22-2013 02:08 PM

I did the same job many years ago. Used a circular saw to cut the floor and remove the tank. Glassed the floor back down and drilled small holes and used great stuff to fill in the small void surrounding the tank.Probably not right but it worked well and he never had any issues. The correct aerosol foam might be available from a marine store.

JohnE 08-22-2013 02:11 PM

I don't know anything about this but I would probably want something flame retardant if I were doing this.

GoneBoatN 08-22-2013 02:50 PM

I'll leave you to do the bulk of research on FOAM wrt Boats for yourself. You can look at the forums on iboats. Use the search on that web site with the keyword of "foam". You could read for years...

One comment on that web site says "For "approved" floatation, use pourable polyurethane foam from iboats or elsewhere... that's what it's for". Since it was found on the internet it is of course true. :D I found other comments that say Great Suff is not the correct type. What is definitely true "required by USCG for all vessels under 21', it may be structural in your boat or just give you piece of mind". There are calculations for figuring how much foam you need and etc but sounds like you are replacing what was there to begin with.

Here is a tread on iboats about pouring foam:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 AM.