TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Water in Cylinders - 89 Tristar (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56864)

Greenwood87 08-19-2013 12:50 PM

Water in Cylinders - 89 Tristar

Well I purchased a 89 Tristar with a 351 Windsor at the beginning of the season. I bought it and as soon as I got it home the problems started flowing. So far this season I have completed a head rebuild/head gasket, replaced starter solenoid and starter, Oil cooler, volt gauge, ignition switch, plugs and wires, speed pickups and raw water pump. So this weekend I attempted to start the boat in my drive way, which I used a flush pro to provide cooling water ( I know this by passes the oil cooler, was just going to test it quick after a starter install), the engine then hydro locked and I proceeded to pull spark plugs. Water was in every cylinder!! I had just completed a complete head (New valves, springs and milled) and gasket rebuild with ARP head bolts, 10 hrs ago. So I am wondering if it is possible for water to flow from the flush pro with enough force to travel into the exhaust valves from the manifolds, or am I screwed with another blown head gasket. I completed a compression test on one cylinder and compression was good. I'm going to purchase a fake-a-lake and test again. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

76S&S 08-19-2013 02:37 PM

I haven't ran into this issue but did you have the water on very long before you attempted to start it?

When I run my boat out of the water, I don't turn on the water until the engine is started.

CruisinGA 08-19-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76S&S (Post 969919)
I haven't ran into this issue but did you have the water on very long before you attempted to start it?

When I run my boat out of the water, I don't turn on the water until the engine is started.

Ding ding ding ding

Greenwood87 08-19-2013 04:44 PM

Well dang, a "boat mechanic" stated that you have to have water started to the raw water pump before you attempt to start the engine.

chriscraftmatt1976 08-19-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 76S&S (Post 969919)

If your gaskets weren't seated well yet I can see it. I always start it, then turn on the water, turn off the water before I kill it.
I've lost a head gasket on my Chris craft kbl doing that, but those do it a lot easier due to the copper gaskets. I've never had a problem on a modern motor. If you do the bucket fill trick you'll never have to worry...

Greenwood87 08-19-2013 05:52 PM

So can water be pushed into the cylinders through the exhaust valves if there is enough pressure from a water source?

Greenwood87 08-19-2013 08:24 PM

Ok so there is water in the oil. I'm going to torque all the head bolts again, if a new head gasket is leaking would this help?

mikeg205 08-19-2013 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Forget the fake a lake and make one of these...

connect the raw water hose to the bucket... fill up bucket... start engine... turn on water to keep bucket filled... besides water should not flow past impeller unless you have super pressure...IMO

chriscraftmatt1976 08-19-2013 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenwood87 (Post 970061)
Ok so there is water in the oil. I'm going to torque all the head bolts again, if a new head gasket is leaking would this help?

Doubtful.

mikeg205 08-19-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenwood87 (Post 970061)

Oh that is not good... sorry to read this.... :(