TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Folding Tongue Stuck (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56853)

CC2MC 08-18-2013 11:23 PM

Folding Tongue Stuck

I was backing my "new" boat into the boat house just enough to fold the tongue on the trailer and have a little extra space behind the boat. When I went to pull the pin, apparently it was rusted in place as it has obviously not been used in a while, if ever. I tried to break it loose with a hammer and it didn't budge. I tried to slip a pair of pliers in the top ring to twist it loose and the ring broke. I sprayed it with WD-40 and let it sit for a little bit then tried to knock it loose with a 3lb sledge with no luck. I also tried to remove the bolt on the other side but had the same problem with it. Has anyone else had this problem? I am open to suggestions. Thankfully it fits in the boat house without having to fold it, but I am using nearly every inch.

JMLVMI 08-19-2013 05:34 AM

Can you tell where it's binding? I have to push down on my tongue to pop mine out.

Mastercraft13 08-19-2013 10:12 AM

Spray it down with some PB Blaster and let it sit overnight and see if that helps break her loose. I always swing mine away even though I don't necessarily have to just to keep it from locking up.

Moosecrackers 08-19-2013 10:40 AM

Agree with the PB Blaster suggestion.

The pin in my trailer fits very tight - close clearances between the pin and the holes. I keep a light coating of oil on the pin and remove mine frequently. I put a padlock though the pin holes when I leave the boat as another roadblock to theft in my security plan.

CC2MC 08-19-2013 10:55 AM

I did think about the PB Blaster, but I just didn't have any on me. I didn't try to push down on the tongue or anything, but maybe with the combination of the two, it will break loose. It will be a couple weeks before I get to work on it again, so I will see what I can figure out. Thanks.

TxsRiverRat 08-19-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLVMI (Post 969769)
Can you tell where it's binding? I have to push down on my tongue to pop mine out.

TMI! :D

CC2MC 09-05-2013 10:04 AM

Well, I tried the PB Blaster and let it sit for three nights, beating it with a sledge every morning and then applying more PB Blaster, but this pin did not budge. The only other solution I can really think of is to break out the torch, which would ruin the paint and I would rather not do that if I don't have to. I did also try to twisting the pin with some vice grips, to no avail. Taking suggestions.

mikeg205 09-05-2013 10:07 AM

Post up a picture... anything bent by chance or out of alignment? I am sure you did this a view may help... IMO

CC2MC 09-05-2013 10:36 AM

I thought that too Mike and looked at it, but it didn't appear to be bent. I will get a picture tomorrow evening as I am out of town now.

thatsmrmastercraft 09-05-2013 10:40 AM

I know from experience that draw bar pins can get pretty rusty and take quite a bit of time to free up. I would try to hit it with the PB Blaster 2-3 times a day and be sure to rap on the pin a few times after spraying as this will assist getting the penetrating oil where it needs to be.