TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General / Other (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   How to seal ski locker from engine bay? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56838)

Zad 08-18-2013 03:31 PM

How to seal ski locker from engine bay?

I have a '94 prostar 205 that is new to me and the bulkhead that separates the aft end of the in-floor ski locker from the engine compartment is cracked around the perimeter allowing water from the engine compartment to move toward the bow into the ski locker. Do any of you have suggestions on what to use to seal this? I am thinking a silicone or some type of plastic weld. The plastic weld idea I am questioning as I am not sure it would take the flexing that the hull goes through. Is there a silicone that would hold up to small amounts of oil and fuel exposure or is there some other compound I should be looking at?

sp00ky 08-18-2013 04:25 PM

I have the exact same boat and fixed this issue with rtv silicon. I originally tried JB water weld which didnt hold. The RTV has been good for 2 years now.

Its a pain keeping it dry I keep a sponge in the boat for keeping this area dry. I also prop it open when stored.

Zad 08-18-2013 05:57 PM

Hey, thanks. Will head out to pick some up. These specialized sites are so great for info like this! I use one for my duramax as well and as a moderate diy'er I love it! Thanks again.

sp00ky 08-18-2013 06:21 PM

no problem and this forum rocks, members are willing and able to help. I got our boat about 2 years ago and have been loving it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Also, check the condition of your blower hose mine came loose in 2011 and wire wrapped around prop shaft and ripped up the Rear main trans seal. I was able to fix it fairly quickly for only $15 with the help of CantRepeat.

It sucked but it could have been much worse and it took awhile to wire cut all that out. I am still seeing tiny bits of old blower hose.

Also skidim.com is amazing resource and parts supplier

Zad 08-18-2013 07:24 PM

I just noticed my blower hose is hooped last week. If I get my arse in gear I will get that ripped out today or tomorrow. I am having some engine issues, stops firing after I gun it, the surges, cuts, surges then either dies or starts running fine. If it dies, it starts right up and might do the surge, cut dance again or runs fine after starting up. I posted in another section and hopefully can get it sorted out.

mikeg205 08-18-2013 08:58 PM

I am fixing mine after this season... I will post up pictures.

john jones 08-19-2013 09:03 PM

Mine is sealed with a small piece of fiberglass. If you want some pics let me know.

mikeg205 08-19-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john jones (Post 970114)
Mine is sealed with a small piece of fiberglass. If you want some pics let me know.

always post up pics... :)

Zad 08-20-2013 03:32 PM

*&%$#!, meant to take and post photos and completely forgot. Did the repair with black rtv silicone last night and it looks good on land, we'll see how it holds up under oil/water and pounding. Also replaced the bilge pump and thankfully the wiring was intact and it works both on manual and auto. Now, fix the trailer brakes, new decals, new blower hose, new shocks for the engine cover, a bit of gelcoat work (just got the gelcoat from Spectrum Color yesterday) and get the engine running perfectly and it will be ready to sell next spring.

mikeg205 08-20-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zad (Post 970397)
*&%$#!, meant to take and post photos and completely forgot. Did the repair with black rtv silicone last night and it looks good on land, we'll see how it holds up under oil/water and pounding. Also replaced the bilge pump and thankfully the wiring was intact and it works both on manual and auto. Now, fix the trailer brakes, new decals, new blower hose, new shocks for the engine cover, a bit of gelcoat work (just got the gelcoat from Spectrum Color yesterday) and get the engine running perfectly and it will be ready to sell next spring.

No pictures... soooooo didn't happen... ;) - them's the rules...