TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Storage / Winterization (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Winterization - hire or can owner handle? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56730)

packman312 08-13-2013 05:26 PM

Winterization - hire or can owner handle?

Guys, first year of owning an x25. I am always open to maintenance and repairs. Wondering if the winterization process is manageable in your view. What is the view? If doable, are there links to the steps that have been shared here before so I dont miss anything?

Thanks in advance!

Packman

drschemel 08-13-2013 05:58 PM

Winterization doable for most people. It helps a lot if you can find someone who has done it before to walk you through the steps. Keep a check list like you are flying an aircraft. You don't want to miss anything. The exact process depends on what motor you have and what kind of balast system. There are several threads about this. Use the search tool!

mikeg205 08-13-2013 06:18 PM

Winterization questions not allowed until September in this hemisphere.... :(

packman312 08-13-2013 07:00 PM

understood on the Sept ref....just trying to prep if internal/externally sourced

medicmoose 08-13-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 968082)
Winterization questions not allowed until September in this hemisphere.... :(

+1 for that sound and qualified advice.

I did all of my winterization which may have added a few grey hairs to my head on the first go around. But, after having done it (following advice on this forum as well as some other on-line tips) it became a piece of cake. A little time on your part can save you a ton of money. As well, I always believed that I did a better job than my dealer....due to my vested interest in the boat being worked on. :D

Good luck to you...doing it yourself will make you that much more knowledgable about your boat!

bigmac 08-13-2013 07:25 PM

It do-able. Not difficult, just time consuming. One of those fall chores I now prefer to pay to have done, partly so I don't have to do it, and partly so I know it's done right. My dealer "pickles" the whole engine and heater with -100 propylene glycol. No freezing, and keeps seals and impeller from drying out.

thatsmrmastercraft 08-13-2013 07:30 PM

In addition to winterization, check with your boat insurance policy to see if you have freeze protection. Only a $30 add on for my policy.

mikeg205 08-13-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 968119)
In addition to winterization, check with your boat insurance policy to see if you have freeze protection. Only a $30 add on for my policy.

You don't have 'nuff MCOCD if ya need a ins... policy... ;)

ttu 08-13-2013 09:04 PM

it's not hard to do yourself. I think eastie has a check list. I have been doing it for years and never a problem. It takes me about 45 minutes to knock it out.

JimN 08-13-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packman312 (Post 968058)
Guys, first year of owning an x25. I am always open to maintenance and repairs. Wondering if the winterization process is manageable in your view. What is the view? If doable, are there links to the steps that have been shared here before so I dont miss anything?

Thanks in advance!

Packman

Depends. Do you have a lot of tools, supplies and a place to do it that won't bother others with noise and lots of water? Do you know all of the steps that are needed? If you think you do, double the number of steps and you'll be close to having all of them. This is partially because the trailer is included in winterization, if everything is done as needed.