TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Upholstery (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Vinyl dye for upholstery??? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56500)

bowtie guy 08-04-2013 03:18 PM

Vinyl dye for upholstery???

I've found a thread or two regarding this, but I'm looking for more input. I've had great results with quality vinyl paints in car interiors and vintage bicycle seats, so why not in the boat? I just bought a 1990 TriStar 220, my upholstery was redone nicely by PO and has a factory appearance but done in shades of brown. I would like to recolor the seat bottoms and seat backs above the two horizontal stripes in white. Any thoughts (positive ones :D)???

NWMike 08-12-2013 01:01 AM

I have had great results. I didn't change colors though but it took care of some discoloration. It will wear through over time and putting white over a dark color may not give you the results you're looking for. Definitely not a long term solution going over a darker color. I used marine vinyl dye by SEM. You must have it super clean, very scuffed and cover everything around it. It can make a real mess if you're not careful. Overspray is tough to take off.

mikeg205 08-12-2013 08:18 AM

NWMike can you post some pics?

bowtie guy 08-12-2013 12:00 PM

Ya I don't think it's a very good idea and will probably just replace it all this winter.

CC2MC 08-13-2013 11:29 AM

Perhaps you could sell the skins to someone else if they are in good shape. You just have to be careful when removing them.

NWMike 08-22-2013 03:39 AM

Mikeg205, I'll take some pics in the morning to show you the before and after to give you an idea of what I was dealing with.

bowtie guy 08-22-2013 02:43 PM

I'd be interested in seeing pics also, thanks!

chriscraftmatt1976 08-22-2013 02:55 PM

I had my pontoon seats painted by 'Dr vinyl' due to black mold spotting, and they came out amazing. That was 5 years ago, I sold that boat to a buddy, and they still look awesome. I think Dr vinyl has a Web page and they're all over the country. Great job, and they work right at your house too.

NWMike 08-22-2013 06:22 PM

4 Attachment(s)
My boat had discoloration on the small panels that had the embossed logos at the tops of the front and back seats. The vinyl was pretty glossy after 20 years of use but it was in great shape. Using a grey scotch pad (a few of them) I scuffed the seats and the engine cover after repairing a few nicks in the vinyl. I cleaned the areas using prep-sol and dusted on about 3 medium coats. I dries as a very matte finish but a few trips out tones it down. My after pictures have about 8 ski trips on them. It literally makes the seats look like new. I used Formula Boats Grey which is about as close as I will get to original. It is extremely close to the color, maybe a little more grey which I think looks better. I'm going to do the side panels this fall. I think SEM only has about 15 or 20 colors to choose from. This is marine vinyl dye which is supposed to have more UV protection. One word of caution, do not get overspray anywhere you don't want it, especially on other vinyl panels of a different color!

The first two pics were when I first looked at the boat at the previous owner's house before I bought it last fall. The last two are from today.

mikeg205 08-22-2013 06:39 PM

wow - that looks great!