TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Restorations and Refurbishments (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   84 Stars & Stripes (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=56309)

ksulliv 07-27-2013 09:34 PM

84 Stars & Stripes

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all,

Finally pulled enough cash together to restore some old stars & stripes that deserves to be out on water again. So I've been hunting for the last few months now and haven't the perfect candidate yet. I did find one today that meets my requirements but I think it's overpriced by about $2K (he's asking $4K.) Here's what he said about it:

"351 W Ford engine and power slot transmission. We wore it out, plus moisture got in a cylinder after the last trip to Lake Superior 8/2008, so in 2009 I lifted the engine and power slot tranny out to begin repairs.....but then we got a new boat and never completed the repairs. It needs the engine finished & reinstalled, along with the transmission which worked fine when removed. Upholstery is worn out. The engine block was taken to Pasco Auto Machine shop where it was hot tanked, checked for cracks and the cylinders were re-bored & new cam bearings were installed. Paid $288.27 on 5/15/09. The cylinder heads were also taken there; hot tanked and checked for cracks, resurfaced both heads and rebuilt them including a new exhaust valve and oil seals. Paid $293.89 08/17/09."

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

Shilohsho 07-27-2013 10:32 PM

You should look at the '85 I posted in the classifieds.

SSMoose 07-27-2013 10:34 PM

He's thinking too hard! In this shape I wouldn't give more than $1500. It needs too much work to be worth your time to restore then you would be at the top end of the price range IMHO.

thatsmrmastercraft 07-27-2013 10:39 PM

Location has a huge effect on pricing. That 84 would go for $3K pretty easy here in MN. Lots more boats in the SW so pricing is lower. $4K is still too much.

ksulliv 07-27-2013 11:01 PM

Thanks guys for confirming what I was thinking. They're a little harder to find here in the northwest it seems. I'm excited to get one in that kind of shape but it needs to be the right price to start off. I started looking in just OR & WA but my search has now extended to CA, ID, MT, & NV. Thanks again for your help.

thatsmrmastercraft 07-27-2013 11:09 PM

Have you tried to negotiate with the owner of the 84?

ksulliv 07-27-2013 11:43 PM

After I got all your responses I offered him $2K. Haven't heard anything back yet.

ksulliv 07-28-2013 01:14 PM

No to the offer. Looks like I'm on the hunt again!

ksulliv 08-10-2013 03:03 PM

So this boat is still for sale. I think I have him down to $3K. Like others on here have said it seems that $2K is closer to the magic number based on what I've seen (mostly in the South). Anybody on the west coast want to chime in and let me know what they think of the price based on what they've seen around here? Thanks!

roush611 08-10-2013 03:56 PM

I sell you mine... $4k its yours.

Only negative is the three bolts need to be drilled out of the exhaust risers as they have sheared off while I was replacing the exhaust hoses. Great boat if you are looking for a mini project.

Tandem axel trailer too... :-P