TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Waterskiing & Barefooting (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Taking the PP plunge...Z-Box worth it? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55993)

JMLVMI 07-15-2013 05:15 PM

Taking the PP plunge...Z-Box worth it?

Beautiful day here in NC, rain-free for the first time in a week...and I can't find anyone with boat experience to go out with me. Wife is nervous about driving, and I don't blame her. Drive straight, avoid wallys, maintain throttle, etc...all while watching a 15-month old who loves to run around the boat!

Going to bite the bullet and get PerfectPass Stargazer 3-Event. It's one less variable she has to worry about, and then I won't have to rely on my dad or brother always being around to drive me for a few sets. Sadly it can't be here today! 8p

Question...the Z-Box is cheaper to buy when you get the system for the first time (about half the normal cost). Is it worth it? I plan to ski in local tournaments (probably just INT or USAWaterski Grassroots) but I don't now. Just wondering if it is worth it for resale value, training, better pull, etc...

Thanks!

charrison327 07-15-2013 05:22 PM

should have sent me an email....i was off today and didn't have a thing in the world to do, i would have made the trip. it is too wet to cut the grass and didn't have anyone to go out with on mine.

i'm actually thinking about the same thing but wasn't aware of the z-box. just looked it up on the pp website.

Craig 07-16-2013 11:12 AM

Worth it for Resale? No. You won't break even with the base PPSG either.

You won't notice the difference with the z-box, don't bother. The z-box is designed for people who are on private lakes and ski tournaments a lot (i.e. constantly switching between Zero Off and PPSG). I would not consider it on my boat unless we moved to a private lake with more controlled conditions.

PPSG will be a huge relief to your wife and you. It helped my wife learn to drive without stressing our marriage too much.

east tx skier 07-16-2013 11:25 AM

If the current software version of SG is 8.0, I might agree that the zbox is an iffy add on. But if the only way to get to the v. 8.0 software is with the zbox, I'd say get it. The system locks in so much more quickly for me with this software, which was designed for the zbox as 8.0z. I know some have struggled getting the zbox working for them, but I saw times within 0.02 seconds ball to ball out of the box. I have felt it was a fantastic upgrade, particularly if you are going to ski tournaments and will be seeing boats with ZO.

Bouyhead 07-16-2013 12:30 PM

PPSG is all you need. I train behind PP and only get Zero Off at tournaments. I cant tell the difference.

88 PS190 07-16-2013 12:36 PM

Z box is uber geeky - but if you do use the bout at a club - make sure to discuss w/ others at the club. They may be uber geeky too.

JMLVMI 07-16-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88 PS190 (Post 957553)
Z box is uber geeky - but if you do use the bout at a club - make sure to discuss w/ others at the club. They may be uber geeky too.

That's what I figured. $230+ is a lot of money to say that I'm getting the same pull. I don't want to be "that guy" who takes the calipers out on the water or blames the boat! :D

PPSG it is...now to check the cushions for extra change!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zYporvUHlw

Phntmski 07-16-2013 03:51 PM

I've thought about it and have pretty much decided my perfect pass stargazer will always pull basically the same no matter how much I upgrade it. That said I still might do that z box next year just because I can't help myself :D But I think I might be satisfied to upgrade to the no magnet setup where you can map up to 3 courses. It would be nice to not need magnets for my favorite courses and that is only about $150.
What I've got to find out is 1) if z box will speed up the pp processor, 2) if the no mag timing is same speed as z box and 3) what version I have.

88 PS190 07-16-2013 07:17 PM

My stargazer is coming in a bit hot and dropping speed unless you really sneak up on the set point. Still have to get more water time to tweak that.

D3skier 07-16-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLVMI (Post 957247)
Beautiful day here in NC, rain-free for the first time in a week...and I can't find anyone with boat experience to go out with me. Wife is nervous about driving, and I don't blame her. Drive straight, avoid wallys, maintain throttle, etc...all while watching a 15-month old who loves to run around the boat!

Going to bite the bullet and get PerfectPass Stargazer 3-Event. It's one less variable she has to worry about, and then I won't have to rely on my dad or brother always being around to drive me for a few sets. Sadly it can't be here today! 8p

Question...the Z-Box is cheaper to buy when you get the system for the first time (about half the normal cost). Is it worth it? I plan to ski in local tournaments (probably just INT or USAWaterski Grassroots) but I don't now. Just wondering if it is worth it for resale value, training, better pull, etc...

Thanks!

what part of NC are you in? I'm typically free and can pull you when ever you'd like... will even pitch in for some gas