TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Trailer bouncing on right side (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55802)

jakethebt 07-09-2013 08:11 AM

Trailer bouncing on right side

This past Saturday my brother was following me home from the lake. He said that my right side of my trailer was bouncing a lot more than the left side. I had noticed it before from the truck, but was never concerned enough to investigate. From behind, he said the difference was pretty drastic. Single axle trailer. We looked at the springs, but could not find any obvious defects. I have heard of the mid-90s trailer leafs breaking before, dropping the fender down on the tire.

Any ideas? Is the bouncing right side about to go? Is the left side already broken and should be where I am focusing my attention?

One note, I put new trailer tires on last spring before driving it home after purchase. Maxxis tires. Same on both sides and I check tire pressure often and it is usually the same side to side and the tires donít seem to leak over time. There are no obvious differences in the tires.

madcityskier 07-09-2013 08:15 AM

Lose weights on one, new it's out of balance? If one spring had been replaced there could be a difference. Maybe as simple as tire pressure. Did you leave a filled fat sac on one side?

bigmac 07-09-2013 08:26 AM

Take the tires in and get them spin balanced? At that time they can check to make sure they are both round. Out-of-round tires aren't that uncommon, especially trailer tires. You can check leaf spring quality by measuring the distance between tire and fender. If they're both roughly equal then that's not likely to be the culprit.

I'd bet on tire/wheel out of balance or out-of-round.

Double D 07-09-2013 08:33 AM

Or your tire could have a bad belt or a bubble in it ready to pop. That happened to me and I had one heck of a shake back there before it blew.

thatsmrmastercraft 07-09-2013 09:16 AM

Have a look at the wheel bearings. When they are loose, it is not uncommon to bounce or track poorly.

johnnye23 07-09-2013 11:45 AM

I would check air pressure,then swap wheels/tires side to side and see if it follows.

jakethebt 07-09-2013 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I will try and switch tires and see if it follows. I can do that myself and not have to take it anywhere.

No ballast, no uneven weight. Tires are running at same pressure. Only difference I can think of on right to left balance would be the spare tire in the front on the right side.

The bouncing is mainly in reaction to bumps. It tracks fine, but when you hit a bump, the right side seems to bounce more. Kind of makes me think springs?

I will check the bearings too. Just looking for looseness in the bearings? Loose gland nut? Feel for wobble in the brearing or grinding?

thatsmrmastercraft 07-09-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakethebt (Post 955173)
Thanks for all the ideas. I will try and switch tires and see if it follows. I can do that myself and not have to take it anywhere.

No ballast, no uneven weight. Tires are running at same pressure. Only difference I can think of on right to left balance would be the spare tire in the front on the right side.

The bouncing is mainly in reaction to bumps. It tracks fine, but when you hit a bump, the right side seems to bounce more. Kind of makes me think springs?

I will check the bearings too. Just looking for looseness in the bearings? Loose gland nut? Feel for wobble in the brearing or grinding?

Raise and support the trailer axle. Grab tire at top and bottom and look for play. Do the same thing on side to side. Also turn the wheel and listen/feel for noise and/or roughness.

If you ever hear of someone losing a bearing buddy while on the road, you can count on it being the result of a bad wheel bearing.

sp00ky 07-10-2013 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double D (Post 955096)
Or your tire could have a bad belt or a bubble in it ready to pop. That happened to me and I had one heck of a shake back there before it blew.

Same thing happened to me right before sidewall exploded.

TxsRiverRat 07-11-2013 09:56 AM

Brakes seized on that side?