TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Trailer Tire Review (Greenball Tow-Master) (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55765)

willg 07-08-2013 12:22 AM

Trailer Tire Review (Greenball Tow-Master)

I figured I would review my recent purchase. After having two Goodyear Marathons de-laminate on me, I went with Tow-Master tires from Greenball. The boat tires that came from Mastercraft were load range D, so I purchased those in a 225/75R15 size. I paid $150 for 2 shipped off eBay. When they were mounted, the installer balanced the wheels. I don't know if this is necessary, but it can't hurt. I also run them at 65 PSI.

I have since towed about 500 miles, and wanted to share first impressions.
Highway:
On the highway at around 60 mph, these tires are great. The Marathons used to sway after hitting expansion joints or rough spots. These are straight and true. They seem to be riding much smoother, as I can barely feel the trailer in the car, where as it used to bounce and bang around. The trailer used to sway enough at 65/70 that it would move the car. Now it is perfectly straight and true.

Low speed driving:
Similar to the highway, the tires appear to be much softer and smoother riding. The trailer is not unsettled by pot holes, and does not bounce around.

Final impressions:
Huge improvement in tracking and ride quality. I can barely tell I'm towing a boat now. After ~60 miles on the highway, the Marathons used to be very warm to the touch. These are nice and cool. These tires are GREAT.

http://www.greenball.com/products.php?products_id=1

mikeg205 07-08-2013 12:25 AM

I have carlisles which will be making most likely their last trip to Northest Ontarion and back this season. 3 years old approaching 5K miles load range C - run at 50.

Thanks for the write up... will put them on the list for when replacement time comes around.

TeamAllen 07-08-2013 02:41 AM

I don't know why you would not balance any tire for any reason?

VP46 07-08-2013 02:47 AM

I recently replaced all 4 of my trailer tires with the same tire. I agree, these are some good tires.

glhanna129 07-08-2013 08:04 AM

Just got a set of these after I blew a tire on the way to the lake on Saturday luckily no damage to the rim or fender! They seem to be well made and pull nicely . Looks like it might be time to get a spare on the trailer !

steve_amestoy 07-08-2013 11:27 PM

I recently bought 4 tow masters in 14" and all 4 separated and blew out on 4 different trips to the lake. Big O replaced all 4 at no charge. Luckily i didn't have any fender or trailer damage. They no longer carry these tires and think i had a faulty batch.

willg 07-09-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve_amestoy (Post 955048)
I recently bought 4 tow masters in 14" and all 4 separated and blew out on 4 different trips to the lake. Big O replaced all 4 at no charge. Luckily i didn't have any fender or trailer damage. They no longer carry these tires and think i had a faulty batch.

Well s***. I hope that doesn't happen to mine....

bturner2 07-09-2013 06:48 AM

When I started looking for replacements I did a bunch of research on each of the tires I thought I would consider. With the exception of Kumho there wasn't a single tire that was rated for high speed or didn't have a host of comments about poor quality and blow outs. Trying to get the Kumho 857s locally was very difficult so I went back to the Marathons. I had them mounted, balanced and filled with nitrogen. I also went through the trailer to ensure the brakes where working correctly and the calipers were not hanging in effort to ensue I'm not adding heat from any other source other than the road.

I have a 250 mile trip planed for Friday that will test my new set up so we'll see how things go. I do say though that I feel confident with my set up. I have a tandem trailer with an X2 so weight shouldn't be an issue. The brakes and bearings have just been serviced and the tires are balanced and filled with nitrogen so everything on the rolling stock should be as good as it can be. I always plan my trips to leave early in the morning and as in this case typically arrive before noon as to avoid the mid day sun/heat. Temperatures in Michigan seldom go beyond 85 degrees at the times I'm driving so heat should be well within the tire design limits.

As bad a name as the Marathons have received I have (knock on wood) never had one fail and I've had these tires on the last three trailers over the past 15 years.

93Prostar190 07-09-2013 07:17 AM

BTURNER2 - You will be fine ... some tires are better than others ... but most tires (unless a horrible defect) will do fine when properly inflated, loaded, and used .... the Marathons will be fine.

I have used Marathons and other brands in the past ... today I pick-up some Maxxiss tires for my tandem trailer to try those ... replacing some 2008 Marathons that came on my boat ... always stored inside and look fine ... but replacing them anyway due to age ....safe travels!