TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Tow Vehicles (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Tundra vs Sequoia (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55376)

kgrove 06-22-2013 09:30 PM

Tundra vs Sequoia

In think of replacing my current truck and have narrowed it down to the Tundra and Sequoia. Anyone know the mechanical differences between the two? I know the Sequoia is based on the Tundra, but is the suspension and brake system identical? Whichever I get I'd be doing the 5.7 engine... Lousy gas mileage but great engine otherwise.

I'm leaning towards the Sequoia only because of the third row seats and ability to take more than just our family to the lake without taking two cars, but that wouldn't matter often enough to swing the difference if the Tundra is a better tow car.

nickespi 06-23-2013 09:41 AM

Tundra hands down. I went from towing my 30 with a Sequoia to the Tundra. Now the Sequoia was the first gen with the 4.7 but all Sequoias have IRS and I didn't care for the feel when towing. Kinda bouncy. The Tundra handles the load much better and of course the 5.7 is decent. Still wish I had a diesel at times, but don't really regret not getting a 3/4 ton.

nickespi 06-23-2013 09:44 AM

Oh, and seating in the Tundra is awesome...if you get CrewMax. Tons of room. Just don't ever sit in one if you're planning on going with the double cab lol. Sequoia third rows are kind of a joke and leave no storage in the back when in use. Can't beat the bed of a truck.

Grant777 06-23-2013 10:02 AM

I've got the double cab. The back seat is big enough and you get a full size bed. And it looks better.

nickespi 06-23-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant777 (Post 949899)
I've got the double cab. The back seat is big enough and you get a full size bed. And it looks better.

Oh no you didn't!!! Hahaha

Astepatatime 06-23-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickespi (Post 949893)
Oh, and seating in the Tundra is awesome...if you get CrewMax.

X2. My wife prefers taking long road trips (think 8+ hours) in our Tundra over her Lexus RX330 because the seats are more comfortable.

Love my Tundra - has 5.7L. I do wish it was 4x4 at times. But great truck and get a lot of compliments on it.

Razzys Wagon 06-23-2013 01:54 PM

tundra hands down, what year are you looking at? hit me up when you get it I can give you some gas mileage helping info........ I use to be with TRDSparks.com and I was the tundra go to guy there.......

nickespi 06-23-2013 01:56 PM

TRDSparks is legit!

kgrove 06-23-2013 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razzys Wagon (Post 949953)
tundra hands down, what year are you looking at? hit me up when you get it I can give you some gas mileage helping info........ I use to be with TRDSparks.com and I was the tundra go to guy there.......

I haven't decided what year yet. If I go Tundra, I was leaning to new because the price gap between a 2013 and 2010 used isn't all that high (I think the 2013 quote I got was pretty good). If went Sequoia I'd look at a 2010 +/- a year as the dealers are gouging deep on Sequoias. They are nowhere near as high volume a truck for Toyota as they used to be so they appear to be price skimming where the Tundra has high volume and good competition.

What kind of tricks do you know for gas mileage?

Grant777 06-24-2013 01:56 AM

Gas mileage tip 1: don't drive it. I get about 240miles on a full tank. Lucky gas is cheap.

A friend who owns the same truck changed the air filter and the exhaust system and claims he gets another 5-8% better fuel economy.