TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Lost Reverse... forward is fine. (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55177)

86Skier 06-15-2013 07:58 PM

Lost Reverse... forward is fine.

Had the boat out all day without an issue. After it had sat for awhile, I jumped in again, untied it from the dock and backed out... reverse worked fine. Ran around the lake a few times, then headed in. As I approached the dock, I clicked it into reverse to maintain speed and swing the nose a bit... but nothing. It revved fine, but reverse would not engage. Forward was fine, but no reverse.

Once I was tied up safely, I disconnected the cable from the tranny, started it, and attempted to engage reverse manually, but still nothing. Any ideas?

The boat is a 1986 Ford PCM 19 foot Skier. I do not know which tranny it has... where would I look or how can I tell?

sp00ky 06-15-2013 10:11 PM

Fluid level? Water in fluid?

André 06-16-2013 06:35 AM

Happened to me last year.The reverse ring plates broke,both of them.
Skidim had them in stock.
Might as well change the damper plate while at it.
Good luck!

86Skier 06-16-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp00ky (Post 947034)
Fluid level? Water in fluid?

I would have said yes the other day after the malfunction first occurred, because I checked it shortly after..... but after reading a lot of different articles on here yesterday I'm not so sure. Is it true that the boat should be warmed and that it's critical to check it within 30 seconds of shutting down? If so, I have no idea and will need to go recheck it.

86Skier 06-16-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by André (Post 947066)
Happened to me last year.The reverse ring plates broke,both of them.
Skidim had them in stock.
Might as well change the damper plate while at it.
Good luck!

Easy enough job to pull the tranny and check it? Looks simple, but I've never removed one. I've owned boats before and have done plenty of work on both them and on different autos, but inboards are a new beast to me.

André 06-18-2013 06:32 AM

You have to lift the back of the engine about 4-5 inches to remove the transmission on my 94.
No,not a big job,only bolts to remove,no special tool if you just change the reverse plates.
Do a search here for transmission rebuilt.Good thread with a lot of pictures.
Low oil level would not cause to loose reverse.
Call Vince at Skidim.He is very knowledgeble and will tell you right away how to check if it is the reverse plates and how to check~replace everything.He s great to do business with!
Good luck!
Hurry,summer is short! :)

Edit:There should be a tag on the transmission with the maker and model numbers.
Or post a pix of it here,someone will bw able to ID it!

86Skier 06-18-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by André (Post 947738)
Edit:There should be a tag on the transmission with the maker and model numbers.
Or post a pix of it here,someone will bw able to ID it!

Thanks... I got my lazy *** down in the garage last night and checked it out. I guess I figured based on past practice with other items that it'd be a matter of crossreferencing serial numbers or something more involved.... but, nope:

There it was, proudly displayed on a great big red tag right on top and clearly visible:

Borg Warner Velvet Drive 1:1

sam196370 06-18-2013 04:59 PM

I had the same thing happen to me last summer, bought a used Velvet Drive and worked fine the rest of the summer. About a month ago reverse went on this transmission. Rebuilt old trans and other than the lock rings it wasn't too difficult - the thread on TT about how to rebuild it is EXCELLENT. Seems to me all that needs to be replaced is the reverse clutch/clutches which is easy.

Check your model number, mine ends with -001 which means 1 bronze reverse clutch, model number ending in -004 means there are 2 bronze clutches and 1 steel.

Taking transmission out is kind of a pain though, get a $20 bottle jack from auto parts store to tilt engine and put a tarp over carpet/gunwales or you'll get trans fluid everywhere; at least I did the first time.

André 06-18-2013 05:34 PM

Ya,pump the oil out first! :)

Don t be affraid,not as difficult(even for an enginneer!:D ) as it seem.Even easier with the help of that rebuilt thread !!!
Lots of pix and we will be able to help you out!

86Skier 06-24-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by André (Post 947738)
YDo a search here for transmission rebuilt.Good thread with a lot of pictures.

Maybe it's me... maybe its the search function... but I can't find the thread I believe you're referring to. I've found others that have been helpful with regard to removal from the boat, but no detailed rebuild thread.

Any one have the link?