TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wrong Prop! (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55170)

Daubrey 06-15-2013 05:40 PM

Wrong Prop!

So I replaced my damaged prop on my 95 190, only to find out the hard way that I have the wrong handed prop! Why can't you, or what iswrong with simply running the boat in "reverse" until I can replace the prop?

88 PS190 06-15-2013 05:59 PM

Because reverse is a planetary drive. Essentially in forwards the trans just the clutches locking up to drive through to the prop.

When the reverse is engaged the transmission uses gears - hence the noise, the slower speed, and the fact that you never engage the throttle that far into reverse.

You're sunk until you get an LH prop.

Cloaked 06-15-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daubrey (Post 946976)
So I replaced my damaged prop on my 95 190, only to find out the hard way that I have the wrong handed prop! Why can't you, or what iswrong with simply running the boat in "reverse" until I can replace the prop?

lol.. made me laugh a little....

I'd run it in reverse until I could find a new prop... why not? reverse will get you there.....you may have to sacrifice some speed and skiing but it's doable...

Yea..... :D

petermegan 06-16-2013 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaked (Post 947018)
lol.. made me laugh a little....

I'd run it in reverse until I could find a new prop... why not? reverse will get you there.....you may have to sacrifice some speed and skiing but it's doable...

Yea..... :D

Just don't get your missus to back it off the trailer :) Have fun

CantRepeat 06-16-2013 08:11 AM

What transmission is in your boat? If it is a velvet drive the reverse clutches are not the same as the forward. The reverse clutch pack has far fewer friction disc and I'm sure its not designed for high RPM use.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster! Seems like there would be a big chance of backing over someone if you happen to forget. :(

Engine Nut 06-16-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daubrey (Post 946976)

Don't do it. The trans is not designed for full power in reverse and will fail if you run it that way. The ZF630 V-drive or the 630A gear reduction transmissions can full power in reverse but the ZF450D is not built for that.

CantRepeat 06-16-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Engine Nut (Post 947138)
Don't do it. The trans is not designed for full power in reverse and will fail if you run it that way. The ZF630 V-drive or the 630A gear reduction transmissions can full power in reverse but the ZF450D is not built for that.

That's the way I figured it.

Larry, what year did Indmar switch over from velvets?

Quinten 06-17-2013 11:09 AM

There was a brand that could get the same speed in reverse as in forward.
Don't remember the brand (sea ray maybe)

ahhudgins 06-17-2013 11:25 AM

You guys are making this waaaay to technical. Just flip the prop around and go ski.:D

xbot50000 06-18-2013 11:30 AM

We were docking on a really windy day, and had to put it in reverse pretty heavy to avoid some rocks. All was fine until we took it out the next time, after the wind calmed, and realized the heavy reverse had popped a freeze plug in the manifold. Easy fix, but it's a quick way to sink. Wouldn't recommended high RPM usage in reverse - unless it's an emergency.