TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Bad oil leak/crankcase pressure on 91 Prostar? Advice needed (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55161)

SWGA Boater 06-15-2013 08:49 AM

Bad oil leak/crankcase pressure on 91 Prostar? Advice needed

So I finally got on the water for the first time since I bought my boat a month ago. Had some electrical and overheating issues that I think have been worked through. After riding for about 20 minutes I stopped to check for any fluid leaks as I replaced several water hoses and all the fuel lines. No issues but now the bilge is filled with oil. I would say probably about a quart.

It appears if the oil is limited to the right side (fuel pump side) of the engine and it looks as if it is mainly coming from high--valve cover area, front and back. I tightened the valve cover gaskets and went back to the landing; nuts were somewhat tight, but needed tightening down. I would not have thought the valve covers would have leaked that much oil in that amount of time.

The oil fill valve cover has a flat plastic push in cover that I replaced as it had no cap when I purchased the boat. Hopefully this is causing my issue. Running the engine in the yard has never shown any evidence of an oil leak. What type of oil fill cap/breather should the valve cover have? Not sure what would be the correct oil fill cap.

I plan on trying to replace the valve cover gaskets and clean the bilge somehow this morning. Any other suggestions as to where the oil could be coming from, block plugs to check, etc.?

Thanks,

Ansley

93ProStar205 06-15-2013 09:03 AM

Oil leaks suck to find, but given the rate it's leaking this should be an easy one. Clean up the motor/bilge with Simple Green or similar and have someone run it while you look for the source(s) with the motor box up and a good flashlight. Could definitely be the valve cover gaskets, particularly if the crankcase is overfilled. My 93 205 used to pool it in the intake valley between the runners due to a leaky valve cover. Would also check rear main seal area between the motor and trans.

Table Rocker 06-15-2013 09:08 AM

Do you have a functioning PCV valve on one of the valve covers?

Cloaked 06-15-2013 09:11 AM

Sometimes, tightening (over tight) can disfigure the valve cover slightly, allowing for more of a leak than less.

Don't overlook the possibility of a main seal (rear is common).

Oil can come out of the filler cap (or absence of one) but nothing to the extent of a massive oil leak per se.... You'd see more of a mess around that area without the cap...

SWGA Boater 06-15-2013 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Table Rocker (Post 946872)
Do you have a functioning PCV valve on one of the valve covers?

Yes the left cover has a PCV valve. I will check or replace as they are inexpensive.

SWGA Boater 06-15-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93ProStar205 (Post 946867)
Oil leaks suck to find, but given the rate it's leaking this should be an easy one. Clean up the motor/bilge with Simple Green or similar and have someone run it while you look for the source(s) with the motor box up and a good flashlight. Could definitely be the valve cover gaskets, particularly if the crankcase is overfilled. My 93 205 used to pool it in the intake valley between the runners due to a leaky valve cover. Would also check rear main seal area between the motor and trans.

This is one place I noticed oil pooling which lead me to think valve covers.

I looked at alot of pictures on the web and its seems most Ford engine have a breathable oil fill cap. I will replace the nonbreathable cap with a breathable cap also.

Thanks all for the quick suggestions!

mikeg205 06-15-2013 09:27 AM

good luck finding the leak - I am voting +1 om the main seal due to the age if motor - or from oil filter top if it did not seat right due to some crud there or something.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 06-15-2013 09:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SWGA Boater (Post 946860)
So I finally got on the water for the first time since I bought my boat a month ago. Had some electrical and overheating issues that I think have been worked through. After riding for about 20 minutes I stopped to check for any fluid leaks as I replaced several water hoses and all the fuel lines. No issues but now the bilge is filled with oil. I would say probably about a quart.

It appears if the oil is limited to the right side (fuel pump side) of the engine and it looks as if it is mainly coming from high--valve cover area, front and back. I tightened the valve cover gaskets and went back to the landing; nuts were somewhat tight, but needed tightening down. I would not have thought the valve covers would have leaked that much oil in that amount of time.

The oil fill valve cover has a flat plastic push in cover that I replaced as it had no cap when I purchased the boat. Hopefully this is causing my issue. Running the engine in the yard has never shown any evidence of an oil leak. What type of oil fill cap/breather should the valve cover have? Not sure what would be the correct oil fill cap.

I plan on trying to replace the valve cover gaskets and clean the bilge somehow this morning. Any other suggestions as to where the oil could be coming from, block plugs to check, etc.?

Thanks,

Ansley

Did you install a solid non vented plug like this pic, If you have a cap like this your motor likely over pressurized and just leaked out because it could not breathe. replace with a breather oil cap and you'll likely be ok.

Do you have the blue finned aluminum "mastercraft power" valve covers?

Cloaked 06-15-2013 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SWGA Boater (Post 946880)
I looked at alot of pictures on the web and its seems most Ford engine have a breathable oil fill cap. I will replace the nonbreathable cap with a breathable cap also.

Thanks all for the quick suggestions!

I have had engines with both caps. Can't say that I know the difference as long as there is one there......works for me....best I recall. my last several have been solid caps....

You can check your PC valve by shaking it. If it rattles, it's (theoretically) good.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 06-15-2013 09:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If running a closed or solid cap is has to have a hose run up to the flame arrestor to allow the PCV system to operate properly

A closed cap with a hose or a vented cap without a hose is ok
Attachment 96841
or
Attachment 96842