TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   maristar 200 overheating (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55146)

markiehd 06-14-2013 07:22 PM

maristar 200 overheating

My maristar, 350 engine, vdrive, overheats when under load. idleing it will stay around 160. I have replaced the impeller, cleaned all debri. It ran great for approximately 20 hours. then it started this. Anything over 1200 rpm it starts to overheat. Ive never let it get over 200, but cant figure out. replaced the thermostat. the old one looked suspect. still occurring. I just pulled the hose to the tranny cooler, raw water pickup. no screen that I can detect. Do I have to open the trainny cooler for the screen. Is it on the port side of the tranny... stumped

Rossterman 06-14-2013 09:11 PM

Check to make sure you didn't get the short impeller. They make a 1 7/8" and 2" (what our boats take). They look identical but won't prime well and overheat above idle. Impeller should have no end clearance against the cover.

markiehd 06-14-2013 09:29 PM

hmm i just buttoned everything up. But I will say, I believe it goes to the end of the space. And the boat probably ran 3 to 4 hours on this impeller with no over heating problems. I am trying to take it for a test drive tomorrow, I will report back. Hey what do you think about faulty gauge. how to check. I notice that the gauge is now stuck on 160 when shut down...

Traxx822 06-14-2013 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markiehd (Post 946782)
hmm i just buttoned everything up. But I will say, I believe it goes to the end of the space. And the boat probably ran 3 to 4 hours on this impeller with no over heating problems. I am trying to take it for a test drive tomorrow, I will report back. Hey what do you think about faulty gauge. how to check. I notice that the gauge is now stuck on 160 when shut down...

Trust all gauges except the fuel gauge :D.
Check your thermostat. Also I have seen a brand new impeller get chewed up from a small piece of debris. Worth a check. Also the diagnosis on the size of impeller sounds very viable to me. It's worth researching wherever you bought it to find out and be 100% sure

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

CantRepeat 06-15-2013 03:07 AM

pick up some crap and its clogging the RAW waster intake line, trans cooler clogged, impeller wrong or burned up missing fins?

Jerseydave 06-15-2013 07:32 AM

Remove hoses from both ends of trans cooler, look for seaweed/debris at the intake end. Back flush it with a garden hose until you are sure nothing is in there. Reverse flush your intake grate the same way.

markiehd 06-15-2013 09:40 AM

thank you everyone for the advice. It does seem to be a straight forward cooling system. I have backflushed the trans cooler screens. I have good flow. There is no obstruction in the pickup end thru the floor. The impeller looks good. I didnt check for size yet. Thermostat is new. Not sure why all gauges, except oil pressure gauge, are stuck where they were when boat last shut down... that is a bit troubling. I will probably open up down there this weekend.... Taking for a test drive this afternoon. I will report back. ps, when it was getting hot, notice excessive white smoke from the exhaust.

Traxx822 06-15-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markiehd (Post 946893)
thank you everyone for the advice. It does seem to be a straight forward cooling system. I have backflushed the trans cooler screens. I have good flow. There is no obstruction in the pickup end thru the floor. The impeller looks good. I didnt check for size yet. Thermostat is new. Not sure why all gauges, except oil pressure gauge, are stuck where they were when boat last shut down... that is a bit troubling. I will probably open up down there this weekend.... Taking for a test drive this afternoon. I will report back. ps, when it was getting hot, notice excessive white smoke from the exhaust.

:eek: that sounds like a head gasket.

JimN 06-15-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markiehd (Post 946750)
My maristar, 350 engine, vdrive, overheats when under load. idleing it will stay around 160. I have replaced the impeller, cleaned all debri. It ran great for approximately 20 hours. then it started this. Anything over 1200 rpm it starts to overheat. Ive never let it get over 200, but cant figure out. replaced the thermostat. the old one looked suspect. still occurring. I just pulled the hose to the tranny cooler, raw water pickup. no screen that I can detect. Do I have to open the trainny cooler for the screen. Is it on the port side of the tranny... stumped

The transmission cooler will collect any debris on the hull side when that debris is too large to pass through. If you removed the hose but didn't reach/look into the cooler, do that ASAP, and remove anything that's in it. The screen isn't in the hose.

markiehd 06-15-2013 03:32 PM

dont say the dreaded head gasket word.... i might sell the boat then....I am going out in an hour or so, I will report back tonight. thanks again everyone