TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Storage / Winterization (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Ants? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55108)

homer12 06-13-2013 07:59 AM

Ants?

Anyone ever have a problem with ants in your boat? I've noticed that when it's on the trailer in the driveway they seem to like to find their way in there. It seems to be a bad couple of years in Indiana for these blasted pests too!
I'm not sure why they like the boat so much, but unless anyone has any good ideas, I'll probably try some hose sprays to get 'em gone.

pmikler 06-13-2013 08:32 AM

Asked this question about a year ago.... nobody responded so I guess you and I are unlucky. Had major problems until I found and killed the queen. Mine where carpenter ants (I live on a wooded lot)

LYNRDSKYNRD 06-13-2013 08:38 AM

I have had the same probelm the last couple of years and have actually developed a system. I use a broudcast type granulure for the grassy areas surrounding where my boat is parked, then use a spray around the bottoms of my tires and the jack wheel (yeah I found them using it). Finally for inside the boat I use the terro products which I place in areas I have seen the ants traveling. Early spring I used the broadcast stuff and spray and I haven't had the problem resurface so far this year with ants in the boat. They are the small black ants that I am battling here, btw.

TxsRiverRat 06-13-2013 09:56 AM

I had a roach on my boat years ago, but i divorced her :D

JimN 06-13-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homer12 (Post 946118)
Anyone ever have a problem with ants in your boat? I've noticed that when it's on the trailer in the driveway they seem to like to find their way in there. It seems to be a bad couple of years in Indiana for these blasted pests too!
I'm not sure why they like the boat so much, but unless anyone has any good ideas, I'll probably try some hose sprays to get 'em gone.

What kind of ants? If they're the little red ones, clean the carpet- it could be that they found something sweet. Spilled drinks and food cause this.

homer12 06-13-2013 10:31 AM

I've got the little black ants. Glad to know I'm not the only one. They seem to be liking the dark areas like between hull and top cap where the rub rail is and in the side panels.
I'm going to try LYNRDSKYNRD's approach to treat around the wheels and jack as well as plant some traps maybe. I've got the same problem in my house and picked up some Ortho spray yesterday. Will let you know the longer term results.

gts-20 06-13-2013 11:55 AM

We had a problem with ants 2 seasons ago. It took me about a week to figure it out. I finally pulled the snap in carpet up and found where someone had spilled a small amout a dark colored drink like Coke in the corner by the observer seat. You could see where it had been cleaned up, but a very small amount has made it through the carpet and had dried on the gell. Once I cleaned that up and cleaned the carpet, no more ants.

deminimis 06-27-2013 01:04 PM

Get yourself some Tempo insecticide. Spray the ground area around your boat. If need be, spray in your boat. Stuff works amazingly well. Mixes with water. Don't quote me, but I believe it's approved for use in the food service industry, so it's relatively safe as well. I use it in our basement even.

thatsmrmastercraft 06-27-2013 01:22 PM

Ants can be a problem anywhere, especially if there is any excavation nearby which displaces the dang things. I have had some anthill explosions and a little Raid ant spray takes care of them in a big hurry. Fortunately they have not found my boat................yet.

mikeg205 06-27-2013 01:24 PM

I recommend cleaning the carpet... the smell of oils and food traces may be attracting the ants...