TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   TriStar 190 Running Hot (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55065)

hydromike2828 06-11-2013 11:22 PM

TriStar 190 Running Hot

Hi All,

I picked up a '89 TriStar 190 with 351 Indmar last spring (2012) that had just under 600 hours on it. It always ran a little on the warmer side at around 170-180F. Towards the end of summer, it started to see 190-200+F. So I disassembled the water lines to make sure there was no blockage in the lines or the transmission cooler... only pulled out one piece of seaweed. With no blockage in the lines, I replaced the impeller and the thermostat (160F). I didn't see any improvement after the impeller and thermostat were changed, so I tried a 143F thermostat for the heck of it... still no luck. I put the 160F thermostat back in. Next, I replaced the circulation pump. The one I removed had some corrosion, but all the fins seemed to be intact. The new one was a bi-directional marine replacement from ski-dim. It didn't seem to bring the temperature down at all. That was at the end of last summer, so I winterized it and called it quits till spring.

This past spring I pulled the exhaust risers and intake manifold to check for blocked cooling channels. The cooling channels were corroded (not nearly as bad as I thought a 24 year old boat would be). None of the channels were blocked though. I replaced the gaskets and bolted everything back up. I took the boat out and took note of what the temp gauge was doing and when... After launching the boat and idling out of the no-wake zone (8 minutes), it was at about 170F. Brought the boat to plane and cruised for about 15-20 min and got to 190-200F. Took a couple ski runs (20 min) and was steady at 200F. Stopped the boat for about 15 minutes to rest up. When I went to start the boat back up, the temp gauge was at 200+F. I started it, and within 10 seconds the gauge started dropping till it stopped at 175F, hesitated for 30 seconds or so, then started to climb back to 200.

This got me thinking about the thermostat... maybe I have a nearly new bum thermostat. I pulled it and put in a pot of hot water on the stove. It started to open up at about 163F. OK, so maybe the thermostat is not seeing this temp in the housing. I hooked the boat up to the garden hose and fired it up. I let it warm up at idle for about 5-10 min till the gauge reached 170F and used an infrared thermometer to measure certain areas. The surface of the intake manifold ranged from 122-165F (165F right next to the temp gauge thermocouple). The exhaust manifolds/risers were between 108-122F. The thermostat housing was at 78-85F.

That has me very confused. I realize that the motor may need some more time and RPM to truly warm up, but should there be that much of a difference between the thermostat housing temp and the temp by the thermocouple? Particularly when the thermostat should be open due to the motor temp being over 160F.

Any thoughts/input/help would be greatly appreciated.... after all, summer is here and its time to ski.

Thanks,

Mike

Tristarboarder 06-11-2013 11:47 PM

Maybe the 24 year old gauge or sending unit?

thatsmrmastercraft 06-12-2013 12:17 AM

I would put my money on the sending unit being the culprit.

hydromike2828 06-12-2013 06:15 AM

I'll try a new sending unit and report back.

Mike

hydromike2828 06-16-2013 11:35 AM

Installed the new sending unit yesterday... didn't seem to help. So I started to do some electrical testing on the on the wiring and gauge. I disconnected the signal wire from the sending unit, and the needle dropped. When I grounded the signal wire, the needle was pegged. Figured the gauge was OK. Started to test the wiring and everything seemed to have good continunity and proper voltage. I decided to dig a little deeper and pull both the gauge and sending unit from the boat and re-create the boat's electrical harness. Once I had everything hooked up (minus the sending unit), I heated up some water in a pot to 170F and placed the business end of the sending unit in the water for it to warm up. I quickly connected the sending unit to the mock harness and found that the gauge was reading just over 200F. Checked the temp of the sending unit with an infrared thermometer, was reading 156F. Looks like the gauge is at fault. I ordered a new one... hopefully that fixes the problem.

Thanks for getting me on the right track!

Mike

homer12 06-16-2013 10:45 PM

good work and nice documentation on your troubleshooting! Good luck with the gauge

Jerseydave 06-17-2013 07:40 AM

You can also use a Raytek infra-red temp gun to check various temps on parts of the engine.
(t-stat housing, cylinder heads, etc.) This might be a good way to verify everything once you install your new temp gauge.

johnnye23 06-23-2013 07:00 AM

I like your troubleshooting technique . I am battling the same basic problem in my just purchased 79 S&S . I am going to apply your technique and verify an accurate gauge reading before tearing into the system.Thanks for sharing.

thatsmrmastercraft 06-23-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hydromike2828 (Post 947157)
Installed the new sending unit yesterday... didn't seem to help. So I started to do some electrical testing on the on the wiring and gauge. I disconnected the signal wire from the sending unit, and the needle dropped. When I grounded the signal wire, the needle was pegged. Figured the gauge was OK. Started to test the wiring and everything seemed to have good continunity and proper voltage. I decided to dig a little deeper and pull both the gauge and sending unit from the boat and re-create the boat's electrical harness. Once I had everything hooked up (minus the sending unit), I heated up some water in a pot to 170F and placed the business end of the sending unit in the water for it to warm up. I quickly connected the sending unit to the mock harness and found that the gauge was reading just over 200F. Checked the temp of the sending unit with an infrared thermometer, was reading 156F. Looks like the gauge is at fault. I ordered a new one... hopefully that fixes the problem.

Thanks for getting me on the right track!

Mike

Nice work Mike. It is easy to forget that function testing the sweep of the gauge does nothing to check it for accuracy.

mikeg205 06-23-2013 09:49 AM

congrats - better a faulty gauge than engine trouble....great diagnostic process.