TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Ballast & Max Capacity (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=55029)

Astepatatime 06-10-2013 09:27 PM

Ballast & Max Capacity
 
Ok...question that is probably common sense, but going to ask it anyway. Did some searching on the forum but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

The published capacity of our boat is 3,000 pounds. I'm assuming that fuel and the stock ballasts don't count against that (i.e full fuel and stock ballast tanks and you still have 3,000 lbs of capacity available). Subtract off gear, coolers, etc.

Now add some additional fat sacs. Say two 750 lb sacs to create a monster surf wake. I'm assuming those DO count against your capacity. Correct? So in this situation, you now have 1,500 left for people and gear?

Reason for my question - getting ready to purchase some sacs and reading a lot of posts of 1,100 to 2,000 pounds of sacs and I'm thinking "wow, just how much can you load these things up with?".

kevkan 06-10-2013 09:32 PM

I don't think even stock ballast is included in the capacity rating. I'm fairly certain lots of folks ride/surf with more than "legal" weight in the boat. I've never heard of a ticket for excess weight, now excess people...

pap 06-10-2013 09:53 PM

Any boat that is weighted sufficiently for wakesurfing and for most wakeboarding is going to be over the rating. The 2013 X30 is rated 2250. 750 per side sacs + 1000 stock ballast and we're over already with no people on the boat.

And people run a lot more than that.

It's a stupid number, there needs to be a better system. Sure it's a pig at that weight, and I wouldn't be turning aggressively or traveling at high speed, but it's not going to sink.

sp00ky 06-10-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astepatatime (Post 945061)
Ok...question that is probably common sense, but going to ask it anyway. Did some searching on the forum but couldn't find what I'm looking for.

The published capacity of our boat is 3,000 pounds. I'm assuming that fuel and the stock ballasts don't count against that (i.e full fuel and stock ballast tanks and you still have 3,000 lbs of capacity available). Subtract off gear, coolers, etc.

Now add some additional fat sacs. Say two 750 lb sacs to create a monster surf wake. I'm assuming those DO count against your capacity. Correct? So in this situation, you now have 1,500 left for people and gear?

Reason for my question - getting ready to purchase some sacs and reading a lot of posts of 1,100 to 2,000 pounds of sacs and I'm thinking "wow, just how much can you load these things up with?".

Published capacity what the hell is that? Load me up till the transom rips off!!!

bbymgr 06-10-2013 11:23 PM

DNR on Lake James in Indiana is ticketing boats for being over the weight allowance. They started this last year.

73blue 06-11-2013 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbymgr (Post 945132)
DNR on Lake James in Indiana is ticketing boats for being over the weight allowance. They started this last year.

Just curious, but how do they check the weight?

Traxx822 06-11-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pap (Post 945081)
Any boat that is weighted sufficiently for wakesurfing and for most wakeboarding is going to be over the rating. The 2013 X30 is rated 2250. 750 per side sacs + 1000 stock ballast and we're over already with no people on the boat.

And people run a lot more than that.

It's a stupid number, there needs to be a better system. Sure it's a pig at that weight, and I wouldn't be turning aggressively or traveling at high speed, but it's not going to sink.

Now hand your boat to an inexperienced person on a shallow lake in a bad storm.

It might sink then.

Rule is, don't open the lockers and show them. If they ask to search or board the vessel say no. You have that right. But you better be following all other laws.



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

bbymgr 06-11-2013 10:20 AM

A buddy told me that the DNR "strong armed" him into telling them how much ballast he had. The DNR asked how much he had and my buddy said he wasn't sure. Then the DNR said something like, you can tell me, or I can confiscate the boat and take it in to be weighed right now. It is pretty obvious when the boat is squatting low in the water that it is over the limit. My buddy got a warning, but he said that if caught again he would be fined.

chriscraftmatt1976 06-11-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traxx822 (Post 945189)
Now hand your boat to an inexperienced person on a shallow lake in a bad storm.

It might sink then.

Rule is, don't open the lockers and show them. If they ask to search or board the vessel say no. You have that right. But you better be following all other laws.



Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

with cops, yes. DNR doesn't need paperwork to search you.

pap 06-11-2013 11:33 AM

"empty all"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:20 PM.