TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Difference in 4160 rebuild kit numbers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54774)

roush611 06-02-2013 03:18 PM

Difference in 4160 rebuild kit numbers

What is the differences in the kits or are they all pretty much the same. I am going to be rebuilding my extra 4160 I have laying around and the list number matches up with Holley part number 703-33 but no one (around me) has one. Is it ok to just get any old rebuild kit for a marine 4160 or should it be that specific one?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 06-02-2013 07:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by roush611 (Post 941791)
What is the differences in the kits or are they all pretty much the same. I am going to be rebuilding my extra 4160 I have laying around and the list number matches up with Holley part number 703-33 but no one (around me) has one. Is it ok to just get any old rebuild kit for a marine 4160 or should it be that specific one?

The kit from your local auto parts will not have all the parts needed to properly rebuild a marine 4160, been there done that, just order the right kit, I used holley renew kit 703-47

roush611 06-02-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 941858)
The kit from your local auto parts will not have all the parts needed to properly rebuild a marine 4160, been there done that, just order the right kit, I used holley renew kit 703-47

Thank you! I will order the one I need tonight then.

ggrimes13 06-02-2013 10:02 PM

I had a rebuilt from National Carburetor on my 1987 TriStar, with a sticker label 80319-351. (carb installed by previous owner during motor rebuild). Due to some issues, I wanted to go thru the carb so I ordered the 703-47 kit and found out it only has metering body gaskets for carbs that have an accelerator pump transfer tube. My carb did not have the tube, and therefore I needed a different gasket. Out of curiosity I peeled off the sticker and the original carb number had been ground away.... I'm guessing that an original 4160 marine carb probably has the tube, therefore this kit would work. Just wanted to share my experience.

roush611 06-02-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ggrimes13 (Post 941897)
I had a rebuilt from National Carburetor on my 1987 TriStar, with a sticker label 80319-351. (carb installed by previous owner during motor rebuild). Due to some issues, I wanted to go thru the carb so I ordered the 703-47 kit and found out it only has metering body gaskets for carbs that have an accelerator pump transfer tube. My carb did not have the tube, and therefore I needed a different gasket. Out of curiosity I peeled off the sticker and the original carb number had been ground away.... I'm guessing that an original 4160 marine carb probably has the tube, therefore this kit would work. Just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks for the heads up. The carb that is on the boat now is one that came off an 88 prostar (I have an 83 S&S) but was rebuilt by national carburetor. I think they do some real shady things over there as I had to have someone rebuild that carb again right after it came back from them with zero use. Now i am rebuilding the original carb that came on the boat because something is still not right with the carb that came back from them.

thatsmrmastercraft 06-02-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roush611 (Post 941907)
Thanks for the heads up. The carb that is on the boat now is one that came off an 88 prostar (I have an 83 S&S) but was rebuilt by national carburetor. I think they do some real shady things over there as I had to have someone rebuild that carb again right after it came back from them with zero use. Now i am rebuilding the original carb that came on the boat because something is still not right with the carb that came back from them.

Be sure to install this kit on your '88 carb to prevent blowing your power valve from a backfire through the carb. Holley didn't start doing this until 1989.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-125-500

roush611 06-02-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft (Post 941929)
Be sure to install this kit on your '88 carb to prevent blowing your power valve from a backfire through the carb. Holley didn't start doing this until 1989.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-125-500

I am not rebuilding the 88, I am rebuilding the original carb that came on the boat. I ordered Holley part number 703-33 (matches the list number). It is still a good idea to do that one way or the other though right?

pbgbottle 06-17-2013 08:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just to add another pic to thread mine is a 88 tristar. the carb number on my 4160 matched this rebuild kit. #703-29 not sure what the difference would be between the two holley renew marine kits,#703-47 and #703-29

but i thought i would post that there is another marine 4160 rebuild kit out there also ,
just in case someone reads this and may order the wrong one.

thatsmrmastercraft 06-17-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roush611 (Post 941932)
I am not rebuilding the 88, I am rebuilding the original carb that came on the boat. I ordered Holley part number 703-33 (matches the list number). It is still a good idea to do that one way or the other though right?

Any 4160 prior to 1989 does not have the power valve blowout protection and should have it installed. Flood the carb once and have it pop back through the carb and your day is likely done with a blown power valve. It is very easy to do and the instructions are reasonably well written. You set the depth gauge on the drill (both supplied in the kit) and drill the hole, insert the check ball and install the plug and you are done and protected.

TRBenj 06-18-2013 10:33 AM

There are a LOT of 4160 rebuild kits out there. I recommend getting the LIST number off your choke horn and calling the Holley tech line to verify which kit is the proper one for your carb. Otherwise, you stand the risk of getting a kit with the wrong parts or gaskets.