TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Upholstery (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Remove Drivers Interior Panel (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54711)

mcookgraphics 05-30-2013 02:29 PM

Remove Drivers Interior Panel

1 Attachment(s)
2001 X-Star-I need to remove the interior panel on the drivers side to replace the factory stereo remote. Any suggestions? Hoping someone can tell me what's involved so there's no surprises!
Thanks

Rossterman 05-30-2013 02:59 PM

Just did mine to add ballast switches. I removed the seat to work on mine but you can do this without having to do that.

1. Remove screw at the bottom center of the panel
2. Pull panel bottom out slightly to allow access to reach the nuts holding on the panel.
3. There are threaded studs glued to the inside (3 across the top) if I remember right. Need to loosen the nuts and washers to remove. Yours looks to have the screw heads exposed (like they did in later years) so can unscrew from the outside while backing the nut with a wrench. Much easier way to go and you don't have to deal with the studs breaking loose when the glue holding them to the panel fails.

There is quite a bit of access to the back of the remote from under the helm to get your arm/hand at the back of the remote, before you take it apart, you may want to get a flashlight and see if you can remove the nuts holding the remote in without taking off the armrest. Before you do this, remove the bottom screw so you can pull out the bottom of the panel to get the maximum access.

JRW160 05-30-2013 06:22 PM

Remove the screw at the bottom. There is a stud with a nut on it towards the back of the panel that you should remove next. You cant see it from the outside. Then remove the three with exposed heads towards the top. Mine all had nylock nuts on them which made removal tough. You can access the front one from under the dash. The other two are much more difficult, with he center one being he worst. You have to be really careful to not tear the panel. There is a member here that had some spacers made and was selling them. I would get some of those and install them while you have the panel off. I used an open ended wrench attached to some vise grips to get the back of the center one.

There is an Allen head screw on the bottom of the throttle. Take it out, then unscrew the Phillips head on the throttle to remove the arm.

As stated above you may be able to get to the remote without removing the panel. I would do everything I could to avoid removing that panel. Getting it out is bad, but reinstalling it was worse.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

mcookgraphics 05-31-2013 08:41 AM

Thanks for the info, although you didn't make it sound very fun!!

bigmac 05-31-2013 10:07 AM

Monkey arms...you need monkey arms. Getting that sucker off, then back on is no picnic, but about par for typical boat design. They are designed for ease of assembly on an assembly line. Ease of repair later on is way down the list of priorities of most boat manufacturers, MasterCraft included.

mcookgraphics 05-31-2013 11:11 AM

Spacers? What were they for?

woodrowskis 05-31-2013 04:52 PM

If you do not get a wrench on the back of the upper screws you can tear the panel material behind them. You can see a few tech tips on how people have tried differrent ways to repair this. Definitely get a wrench on the nut and don't spin the bolts 1st just hoping the nuts catch.

JRW160 05-31-2013 05:54 PM

Here's the link for the spacer thread. The panel is just plastic wrapped in vinyl. There is no reinforcement where the screws go in. The spacers provide reinforcement. One or two of my screws were already ripped through.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=47739

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Tapatalk HD

mcookgraphics 05-31-2013 06:15 PM

Would love to have a set of those!

Rossterman 05-31-2013 06:15 PM

Wierd- on my 2001 there are no bolt heads showing through. Studs are glued to the back of the panel (had to re-epoxy a couple that broke loose. Mine must be an early 2001?

Also as was said above, they are nyloc nuts so pita to remove. Suggest you get some ratcheting box end wrenches at harbor freight like i did for $20. Better yet, get the pivoting ones for a few $ more.