TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Audio/Stereo (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   sub stopped working (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54646)

abneyxstar 05-28-2013 02:42 PM

sub stopped working
 
I was getting pretty loud with my stereo this weekend and the sub stopped working. Everything else as it pertains to stereo is working just fine and I did not here anything that would make me think the speaker blew. There is nothing coming out at all. Is there a fuse or something I can check?

Ironhorse 05-28-2013 02:55 PM

wiggle the connection at the amp. This happened to me last summer.

ZachDaddy 05-28-2013 03:06 PM

When battery power drops to low the sub will stop playing. Check ur battery voltage with a volt meter

abneyxstar 05-28-2013 03:07 PM

I will check this out and see if anything is loose . thx

abneyxstar 05-28-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachDaddy (Post 940156)
When battery power drops to low the sub will stop playing. Check ur battery voltage with a volt meter

I have since had the engine cranked up and running the entire next day and tried the stereo again...again only the sub was not working the next day as well.

ZachDaddy 05-28-2013 03:19 PM

If you run the engine and allow the battery to charge up a bit and the sub begins to play again, at least you know you ran your battery down to far.
If you don't have a dual battery set up its time to.

ZachDaddy 05-28-2013 03:20 PM

Check to see if the amp light is on and it's wiring.

TN Barefooter 05-28-2013 03:24 PM

There should also be an in-line fuse running from the battery to the amp on the main (+) wire. See if the fuse blew.

EarmarkMarine 05-29-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abneyxstar (Post 940149)
I was getting pretty loud with my stereo this weekend and the sub stopped working. Everything else as it pertains to stereo is working just fine and I did not here anything that would make me think the speaker blew. There is nothing coming out at all. Is there a fuse or something I can check?

Pull the sub and measure across the terminals with a multimeter. You are looking for a DCR that is anywhere between 80 to 100 % of the stated impedance. Make sure that the woofer still moves and is compliant. If the woofer voice coil is open or the woofer is frozen then look no farther. Keep in mind that thermal damage can be accumulative with no major noise coming from the sub while being driven. Check the terminations inside the enclosure. Check the braided leads from the woofer terminals leading to the voice coil. If you do not have a meter ($10+) then test the disconnected sub with a quick pulse from a 9V battery. If the sub seems to be operational then move upstream to the speaker wire and the amplifier. If the amplifier is multi-channel and driving other satellites that play fine then check for an AC voltage with a multimeter on the sub channel output. If you get a voltage then the problem is elsewhere. If you do not get a voltage then the issue is isolated to that channel. Keep in mind that a supply fuse or internal protection circuit is likely to govern the entire amplifier and not just a portion. If you have a dedicted sub amplifier then check for AC voltage from the RCA source, check for AC voltage on the amplifier output, and check the supply DC voltage (a solid 12.0 + volts) across the amplifier primary supply terminals including the remote turn-on lead. Check all physical connections. Check fusing. Check for a status indicating LED on the amplifier per the amplifier manual.
If you invest in a multimeter and learn only three settings you can conclusively isolate the true problem in no more than 20 minutes.

David

skitilldark 09-20-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abneyxstar (Post 940149)
I was getting pretty loud with my stereo this weekend and the sub stopped working. Everything else as it pertains to stereo is working just fine and I did not here anything that would make me think the speaker blew. There is nothing coming out at all. Is there a fuse or something I can check?

I have had this happen so often it is scary. Most of the time it is indeed voltage issues mainly from discharged batteries. I have though, completely melted the voice coil in two subs. They were both 15's. I switched to a 10 and a 12 and everything has been fine. But I did add a capacitor which regulates the voltage and keeps it from spiking. Since adding the capacitor 6 years ago, I have had no issues with melting the speakers. I do have the subs shutting off though if I ever let the batteries get down at all. This past summer, low voltage finally trashed the amp and I had to replace it.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.