TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Wiring issue? IGN reset has to be pushed (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54578)

TonyB 05-25-2013 03:46 PM

Wiring issue? 91 Prostar IGN reset has to be pushed

I have a 1991 Prostar 190. I am wondering if I've rewired my starter relay incorrectly. I definitely have it wired correctly from the battery wire and to the starter. It's the small red one that I'm concerned about.

The issue I have is that I crank the engine and it runs for about 5-10 seconds and shuts down. All gauges shut down and I have to push the IGN reset button on the dash before it will crank again. The only thing different from before is the starter relay. I sure thought I put it back exactly as before. But ...

I currently have the battery cable and small red wire (to circuit breaker) on one large post and starter cable on other large post. Small white wire on small post to neutral safety switch.

TonyB 05-28-2013 10:19 AM

Seriously? Nothing?

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 05-28-2013 11:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
maybe you have the two heavy red cables reversed,

I'm unsure about a white wire

A terminal should be from battery heavy red/ 50amp breaker small red
B terminal should go to starter heavy red
S terminal should be ignition switch start/ neutral safety yellow with red trace
I terminal not used (or used as a bypass of the ballast resistor for full 12v for hot start cranking of the coil)

TonyB 05-28-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 940067)
maybe you have the two heavy red cables reversed,

I'm unsure about a white wire

A terminal should be from battery heavy red/ 50amp breaker small red
B terminal should go to starter heavy red
S terminal should be ignition switch start/ neutral safety yellow with red trace
I terminal not used (or used as a bypass of the ballast resistor for full 12v for hot start cranking of the coil)

Exactly as I have it. But thanks for the response. Something has happened to the wiring since I winterized it last year.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 05-28-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 940109)
Exactly as I have it. But thanks for the response. Something has happened to the wiring since I winterized it last year.

If it's popping the 50amp circuit breaker, I would think you might have that wire shorted to a ground somewhere or a component is shorting out causing the breaker to trip.

SWGA Boater 05-28-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 940122)
If it's popping the 50amp circuit breaker, I would think you might have that wire shorted to a ground somewhere or a component is shorting out causing the breaker to trip.

Agree....

Tony I'm having electrical issues with my 91 also. Have narrowed it to a ground I think. Boat has a lot of corroded wiring. I'm having to do some rewiring. Can you take a picture of you dash panel/switches? None of my switches have labels. So far I've got my manual bilge, blower and lights working. Have two other switches that I do not know what they go to...sorry for the thread high jack.

Thanks!

TonyB 05-29-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com (Post 940122)

It's popping the 20 Amp breaker that is on the dashboard.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com 05-29-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyB (Post 940542)
It's popping the 20 Amp breaker that is on the dashboard.

same situation, shorted wires or components...

TonyB 06-17-2013 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 96934

TonyB 07-08-2013 01:19 PM

Culprit turned out to be an accessory light up in the bow. The wires had come loose and were arcing causing the IGN breaker to trip.

I hate finding a thread that matches exactly an issue I'm having but find that the cause and resolution never makes it into the thread.

You're welcome.