TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Engine / Drive Train (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Help: Boat Keeps Dying (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54577)

Beg4wake 05-25-2013 02:17 PM

Help: Boat Keeps Dying

I have a 2008 MC XStar. I ran it about 4-5 weeks ago and no problems...fueled it up today and took it to the lake. It started up and ran for a little while but then died. It will fire up and run for a few seconds but keeps dying. It's acting as if it is not getting fuel. The pump runs when I turn the key and the boat only has 290 hrs on it so I wouldn't think it would be the pump. Maybe clogged lines? I'm just wondering if this is a common problem and if so, is there any places I should look first? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. I have a warranty but the shop can't look at it for 2 more weeks and I was hoping to take it to Lake Norman next weekend for the King of Wake Pro Wakeboard Tour. Thanks in advance.

JimN 05-25-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beg4wake (Post 939325)
I have a 2008 MC XStar. I ran it about 4-5 weeks ago and no problems...fueled it up today and took it to the lake. It started up and ran for a little while but then died. It will fire up and run for a few seconds but keeps dying. It's acting as if it is not getting fuel. The pump runs when I turn the key and the boat only has 290 hrs on it so I wouldn't think it would be the pump. Maybe clogged lines? I'm just wondering if this is a common problem and if so, is there any places I should look first? Any help or input would be greatly appreciated. I have a warranty but the shop can't look at it for 2 more weeks and I was hoping to take it to Lake Norman next weekend for the King of Wake Pro Wakeboard Tour. Thanks in advance.

The first thing to look at if an engine won't run is the safety switch if it only seens to want to run when you're cranking it. If it actually runs for a few seconds after you stop cranking, move on to the other tests.

If it runs and stops, check the fuel pressure. Look for numbers, not just checking to see if it sprays. It can easily spray when the Shrader valve is pressed, but that doesn't mean the pressure is high enough. It's also unsafe to do that.

While you're checking the pressure, take a fuel sample- most fuel pressure gauges have a bleeder valve, for removing air from the line going to the gauge. You can insert the thin, vinyl tube into a clean, dry bottle (I use a clear soda or water bottle), Put about 8 oz in and let it sit for about 15 minutes- if it's cloudy, dirty, smells bad and not like fresh gas or you see water droplets in the bottom after it sits, you need to deal with it before running the engine again. If you see a lot of water, start asking questions- either someone put it there, the station has a problem, your gas cans don't seal well, the gas cap doesn't seal well, the vent was below the water line when it was running (possibly while pulling wakeboarders or when the transom was swamped while stopping) or the fuel pump/sender isn't sealing well/it wasn't installed properly if it was replaced.

Next, make sure it has spark. DO NOT pull a plug wire and hold it while someone cranks or when it's already running. You won't be having a good day if this happens- the ignition system puts out more than 50,000V and getting a handful of spark is no fun. If you grab a plug wire and pull it off of the plug while your other hand is grounded to the engine, nice knowing ya- especially if you have a pacemaker.

Your fuel lines really can't become clogged unless it's getting incredibly bad fuel that bypasses the on-pump filter. If you have bad gas, and it's definitely a possibility, you need to empty the tank, flush the lines, replace the filter and re-fill it with clean, fresh gas. If you can avoid ethanol, do it.

madcityskier 05-25-2013 03:01 PM

I immediately thought fuel. Did you fill up in between? Mom put in diesel once and it sounded like this, but let's not talk about that. Follow Jim, he will show you the way.

Beg4wake 05-28-2013 08:38 AM

After searcing for a while on here found out that MC's have had a huge problem with the Carter fuel pumps that came stock in them. After a lot of trial and error from other forum users I found a list of possible replacement pumps considering Mastercraft would want to charge $500 for an entire new fuel sending unit instead of just replacing the pump. So I took one of the part numbers for a fuel pump from Advance (Airtech E2044), bought the pump (which they carry in stock), installed it in less than a hour, took the boat to the launch, backed it in and she fired right up...Ran effortlessly the rest of the weekend!! BIG THANKS TO ALL FORUM USERS FOR THEIR CONTINUED HELP!

mikeg205 05-28-2013 12:50 PM

Yes! - love quick solutions... that are inexpensive...!!!! :)

CantRepeat 05-28-2013 01:09 PM

Napa sells a fuel pressure gauge for less then $20 bucks that will screw right to the shader valve on the fuel rail. It's an nice item to have in the boat.