TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Launching and Towing w 2WD Good or Bad (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54574)

DBrown2 05-25-2013 10:48 AM

Launching and Towing w 2WD Good or Bad

Well I had always towed with a 2500HD Crew Cab DMax 4x4 so this question never came up. I am wondering if using a 08 Suburban 2WD is smart at the boat ramp launching? Occasionally on previous truck due to torque I would spin in 2wd coming out loaded.

Who launches w a 2WD... I also have a 02 Z71 but yet whole family can't fit in it.

Traxx822 05-25-2013 11:10 AM

I used to launch with a 1 ton cargo van. As long as I was committed to the pull, kept traction at 100% going slow enough to make sure you didn't slip I was fine. I also would try to put my tires in a dry area of the ramp. Even if it meant someone else couldn't use it for a few brief moments.

What ramp you are on is really going to be what makes the difference here. But I think a suburban would so better than a 2wd silverado since my van does way better than my 2wd 2500. Now that I have the crew cab z71 I am like you, its not an issue anymore.

Have fun on your trip. I'm sure you will be fine.

nickespi 05-25-2013 11:29 AM

You shouldn't have any huge issues. I essentially launch with a 2wd since I have never had to put my tundra into 4wd at the ramp. The burb has some weight over the rear axle too

jafo9 05-25-2013 11:40 AM

Agree with above. We launch with my wife's expedition 2wd. I have more confidence with my land cruiser, but the expedition is a much better tow vehicle. As mentioned above, the condition of the ramp plays a role.

jk13 05-25-2013 11:46 AM

I've needed to lock in to 4wd at the ramp exactly once in my boating career. That was enough to justify having it.

Remote ramp, no one else around, sliding backwards, etc. Not good.

gweaver 05-25-2013 11:53 AM

I tow an 88 Prostar with an 04 Silverado 2WD. I've only ever had one problem, and it was on a pretty torn up ramp with lots of gravel on it. Spun the rear wheels and didn't make any progress. I had a couple people sit in the bed and tried again- came right out.
My local ramp is not a problem, and when we take our camping trips, I try to launch/land when the truck's loaded up. Boat's the first thing in the water and last thing out. :)
G

FrankSchwab 05-25-2013 12:08 PM

I've had the 2WD Expedition for a year now, and have never had a problem. Of course, all the ramps I use are grooved concrete - but that doesn't stop the guys with F-150's from burning rubber all the way up the ramp due to lack of traction.

madcityskier 05-25-2013 02:14 PM

Unlike most, I have had problems w/ 2 wd on occasion. AWD now and that's great. Depending on the ramp, I've had times where there is significant algae and I had to get the tires wet to get the boat on. Worst case scenario I used the boat in gear to create a mild push. As soon as it's going kill the engine. Would definitely not do unless necessary, and only on a paved ramp clear of debris.

DBrown2 05-25-2013 04:43 PM

Good points.. the Burd does have the anti slip button.. not sure if that's a true locker tyoe or simple a sendor to slow the gas if one side is spinning

mikeg205 05-25-2013 04:50 PM

I have an '02 E150 2WD Van.. 4.6 liter with a towing package... never had a problem... Only saw a few ramps that made me worry - mostly when there a bunch of algae...then I made sure a sand source was near... should be fine...unless boat is way heavy...