TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Trailers (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2010 tandem axel trailer (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54273)

mramerman@gmail.com 05-13-2013 02:31 PM

2010 tandem axel trailer

Pulling my boat home this weekend, i noticed the trailer brakes "surging and jumping" when I slowed down to a stop. Any thoughts about what might be going on here?

Also, on occasion, when trying to back up, the brake lock-out doesn't activate causing the trailer to lock up. Not sure if this is related or not.

Thank you in advance.

mikeg205 05-13-2013 02:34 PM

I assume you have the electric reverse lockout .... check the ground on the lock-out valve. if the valve fails brakes will engage

mramerman@gmail.com 05-13-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg205 (Post 935114)
I assume you have the electric reverse lockout .... check the ground on the lock-out valve. if the valve fails brakes will engage

Mike: Thank you. Can you tell me what / where the lock-out valve is?

Ski-me 05-13-2013 03:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
If it's like mine, it's on the back of the actuator unit....

mramerman@gmail.com 05-13-2013 03:39 PM

Thanks I will check this. Is there a brake fluid reservoir I should check?

Ski-me 05-13-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mramerman@gmail.com (Post 935153)
Thanks I will check this. Is there a brake fluid reservoir I should check?

Again, on mine......first photo shows the black plug. Remove and check your level. I think the level has to be at the bottom of the plug (might say it on it once you remove it.)

mramerman@gmail.com 05-14-2013 09:46 PM

Discovery

2 Attachment(s)
So I checked brake fluid level and it was close to the top (very close)--assuming this is ok. Do I need to bleed brakes now?

I followed the plug back to the trailer and discovered exposed wires (not in rubber sleeve); that the safety chains had rubbed to expose raw wire on green & white. I stripped, wrapped and closed them off from any contact.

Do you think this was causing the pulsing? Surely seems like it might have grounded contact disabling back up and possibly creating surge / jump when braking.

Thoughts?

ZachDaddy 05-15-2013 10:18 AM

I too would be interest in hearing about the backing up and brakes not releasing

My buddies 07 trailer would not back up unloaded the other day without the lock out pin inserted in.

mramerman@gmail.com 05-15-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachDaddy (Post 935670)
I too would be interest in hearing about the backing up and brakes not releasing

My buddies 07 trailer would not back up unloaded the other day without the lock out pin inserted in.

It has been an intermittent issue. I am fairly certain this is an electrical issue, considering the backup lights do not activate when the brakes don't dis-engage. I found wires from umbilical cord to the actuator that were exposed to the rubbing of the safety chains. These wires casing was worn off and exposed---guessing this was creating a short. I fixed and looking forward to testing this weekend.

thatsmrmastercraft 05-15-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mramerman@gmail.com (Post 935711)
It has been an intermittent issue. I am fairly certain this is an electrical issue, considering the backup lights do not activate when the brakes don't dis-engage. I found wires from umbilical cord to the actuator that were exposed to the rubbing of the safety chains. These wires casing was worn off and exposed---guessing this was creating a short. I fixed and looking forward to testing this weekend.

It would have to be a very large coincidence to have found these exposed wires and have them turn out to not be the problem. Good luck on the next road test.