TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   First time out 2009 X star (first impressions) (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54253)

bjames 05-12-2013 06:21 PM

First time out 2009 X star (first impressions)

4 Attachment(s)
Finally got out on the water after a long long wait for the ice to clear.

Im sure some people were wondering how my new to me 09 X star compares to my previous 2012 X25. At this point (based on first impressions of only being out for a few hours), Over all I am very happy. I did find one glitch with the VDIG, the down curser button is reversed so I can ONLY scroll up - which is a problem (another thread on that).

Other than that, (knock on wood) everything seems to work perfect.

Probably the most noticeable difference was how much more power and responsiveness the X Star had compared to the X25. Strangely, both have the 6.0L, however the Xstar is Indmar LY6 an Ilmore on the 25. Right off the bat, the Xstar's acceleration seemed much faster.

I noticed that the Xstar had very little bow rise, almost seemed there was no bow rise at any speed (Xstar has no plates) compared to the X25.

My maximum speed (according to the gauge) was about 45mph (un-calibrated). Overall the star accelerated like a bat out of hell and just seemed faster at maximum speed that what I have been used to.

For turning, WOW!! this turns on a dime and will accelerate in tight turns, The X25 would not turn nearly as sharp and would bleed power during the turn (X25 did not have tracking fins).

Also I noticed the Indmar LY6 had a noticeable lower rumble to it compared to the Ilmor 6L. Not important, but both my wife and I noticed it just had a lower rumble.

Cutting across other peoples wake was surprisingly good. With the flatter bottom on the Xstar, I was expecting bow slap (like my Moomba had), but the star just cut right through it and absorbed the wake very well - no difference from my X25.

There was no water over the bow. Even with all the ballast 100% full, turning into my own wake (slow speeds and using my normal driving habits), there was not water over the bow. I guess I saying that it is was no different from the X25. Probably just good driving habits :)

No tower shake (The Xstar tower has larger dia tubing that the other X series boat) making this tower the most sturdy of ALL boats I have owned. Even trailering, hitting pot holes, the tower does not sway, the entire boat does.

No squeaks, rattles etc. Everything seems solid. I was concerned the tower would rattle or creek, being a traditional style, but everything was solid.

IPAD worked flawlessly wit the standards IPOD connection. Was able to control the IPAD from the clarion remote :)

Stereo sounded amazing. With the extra 2 speakers the Xstar has in the main cabin (compared to the X25), the sound was awesome and crystal clear with NO interference noises (that I had on both my previous boats).

Loading onto the trailer was smooth, With the heavier carpet (not sure if the previous owner added it) seemed to help eliminate sticktion when powering on the trailer.

Last... the boat looked so good on the water. So far VERY Happy. Just have to get the VDIG fixed :)

Attachment 94884

Attachment 94885

Attachment 94886

Attachment 94887

erervin 05-12-2013 07:02 PM

Great looking boat!

gotjag941 05-12-2013 07:18 PM

That wrap looks awesome in the water...Enjoy your summer!

CottagerGreg 05-12-2013 07:21 PM

Boat looks great on the water!

I had the same problem on my vdig, changed under warranty and no problems since.

The tracking the on the xstar is awesome. If you do a sharp enough turn at boarding speeds you can almost feel the boat hook..

Side note: Ontario has Alberta weather... last sunday was sunny and 27 degrees, today was 2 degrees and rain, sleet and snow!

willyt 05-12-2013 07:27 PM

Love me some xstar

TN Barefooter 05-12-2013 07:46 PM

That is one of the nicest X-Stars I've seen. Good write up.

onejdgreen 05-12-2013 08:17 PM

Sharp looking boat!!!

Jerseydave 05-12-2013 10:50 PM

Glad you're happy with your X-star, she is pretty!

If you add ballast, you will get some major bow rise. I run (2) 720's in the rear lockers and a 750# sac in the front walkway....bow rise big time until I'm on plane then all is well. But the wake is greatly improved with this extra weight.

Nordicron 05-12-2013 10:56 PM

Come on, no wake comparisons? That's why we own these boats isn't it?

501s 05-13-2013 01:30 AM

Nice write up. Thanks for taking time to put in all the info. Interesting about the boat being faster. The dry wieght of 09 star is 4250 while the X-25 is 4370 so they are basiclly about the same but many have said that the star requires more weight to get the big wake than the X-25 because the X-25 "plows" through the water more with it's deeper V hull, so maybe that's where the acceleration difference comes from. None of my wake boats have touched 45. Heck they have never gotten over 40, but I've only had 5.7's.

I gotta ask, did you get to ride? We hit Sylvan on Saturday and it was all time. Pure glass, and only a new G23 and I/O on the whole lake. I took a long set behind my friends Mojo and it was like we hadn't left the water for 8 months...

And you could have teased us with a couple wake pics too. Looking forward to hearing your review on the wake. Hopefully I will be able to post a review this week on my 30.