TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   leveling compound on cracked garage floor? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=54091)

Lars 05-05-2013 07:28 PM

leveling compound on cracked garage floor?

2 Attachment(s)
Bought my house about a year ago and the condition of the garage floor is driving me NUTS! I'd love to put down an epoxy over it, but it is very pitted and spalled. None of the cracks look structural, I think it's just 60 years of water freezing and thawing on top.

See pictures below.

Can I just clean it and put some leveling compound on this front half and then epoxy it? Back half was added much later btw.

Attachment 94523

Attachment 94524

JohnE 05-05-2013 07:35 PM

Wish I could help. You need someone who really knows about this. I'm thinking jack hammer it all up and start over including a little digout of the soil below and filling with good gravel and compacting properly.

Cloaked 05-05-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lars (Post 932409)
Bought my house about a year ago and the condition of the garage floor is driving me NUTS! I'd love to put down an epoxy over it, but it is very pitted and spalled. None of the cracks look structural, I think it's just 60 years of water freezing and thawing on top.

See pictures below.

Can I just clean it and put some leveling compound on this front half and then epoxy it? Back half was added much later btw.

For what I would expect out of your request (a good long term fix), the answer is no.

That looks to be old concrete (relatively speaking) with freeze/thaw cycles, salt/brine from your location...

John has the best answer for best results. Anything else will be like a coat of Thompson's water seal <<SPIT>> on a wooden deck... It won't last long...

A small project like that is really not difficult as a DIY if you plan properly. The key to any and all concrete placement is reinforcement and control joints. I am not talking about wire mesh either.... That is even more useless than Thompson's water seal....

JohnE 05-05-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaked (Post 932416)

A small project like that is really not difficult as a DIY if you plan properly. The key to any and all concrete placement is reinforcement and control joints.

If concrete moves (and it almost always will) it will crack. My understanding is that you either need to keep it from moving or control where it cracks. The first part is almost impossible, so control and expansion joints need to be installed. On the floors I just poured, the installer placed 1/2" foam around the perimeter for expansion and cut control joints in with a diamond blade saw. My last house was done the same way, and it's amazing that the floor cracked within almost every saw cut. You could see it if you looked into the saw cut. (I never did get around to filling the saw cuts with silicone - hopefully I do on this one.)

Cloaked 05-05-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cloaked (Post 932416)
The key to any and all concrete placement is reinforcement and control joints..

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 932431)
........, so control and expansion joints need to be installed.

....control joints and expansion joints are two different applications.... both necessary for different uses....

SOunds like you had yours done correctly....

Control is the issue most lazy concrete finishers choose to ignore or skrimp on. Concrete will crack...

I could go on and on.... (civil engine-ear) :)

JohnE 05-05-2013 09:11 PM

I do realize you have much more experience than I do in this. I was just trying to clear things up for OP. Expansion joints as name indicates allows for the entire floor to expand by creating a space for it to do so. Foam or some medium is placed around the perimeter where the floor abuts the walls. Otherwise it will crack upon expansion. Control joints (in the middle of the floor) create a weak spot such that when the floor does crack it does so in the controlled location.

Cloaked 05-05-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnE (Post 932450)
I do realize you have much more experience than I do in this. I was just trying to clear things up for OP. Expansion joints as name indicates allows for the entire floor to expand by creating a space for it to do so. Foam or some medium is placed around the perimeter where the floor abuts the walls. Otherwise it will crack upon expansion. Control joints (in the middle of the floor) create a weak spot such that when the floor does crack it does so in the controlled location.

That was not the point. I was agreeing with you.. :D You're on it....

I could say the same about electrical and your experience.. I know on and off with a light switch.... That's it... You're the electrical guy....

BrooksfamX2 05-05-2013 10:38 PM

cover it with some garage matting or outdoor carpet?

Thrall 05-06-2013 03:09 AM

Yeah drop in some of those rubber garage tiles.
Or pull it out and re pour.

Traxx822 05-06-2013 06:48 AM

Break it with a sledge. Put in new wire mesh, rebuild up the settled stone, compact it. Run expansion joint around perimeter only. Fill it up with Crete. Joint the floor into 4 pieces. California finish it so it looks pretty. That is all you can do to that floor. Any bandaids will not solve this issue. Good luck

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2