TeamTalk

TeamTalk (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/index.php)
-   Storage / Winterization (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Sunbrella or Top Gun for a bow & cockpit cover? (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=53382)

gruvnfunk 04-03-2013 11:27 AM

Sunbrella or Top Gun for a bow & cockpit cover?

I need to get a bow and cockpit cover and do not know whether I should go with Sunbrella or Top Gun. I understand that Sunbrella is more breathable and Top Gun is virtually waterproof. This will primarily be used to cover the boat at mooring. I have a full cover I would use for trailering if the bow and ****-pick cover is not recommended for trailering.

If I went with Top Gun I would have to make sure I got vents to ensure the boat would dry out with the cover on it.

...I set up an appointment with an installer that uses Top Gun so I am hoping that is a good choice.

I was also thinking about going with black so that it would help evaporate the water on the cover and in the boat quicker.

MasterCraft X-Star 2000 w/ tower

russlars 04-03-2013 11:37 AM

No experience with Top Gun but on my previous boat I had a cover that was waterproof with vents in it and I had a bad problem with mildew and it would take forever for the boat to dry on the inside. Breathable covers require more care and treatment to keep them waterproof, but I would much rather deal with that than a mildew problem.

gruvnfunk 04-03-2013 11:42 AM

In looking at the Top Gun website (http://www.topgunboatcovers.com/TG.htm) it appears it is breatheable after all. Can anyone out there confirm from experience if it is adequately breathable to allow the interior of the boat to dry with the cover on?

From the website:

Base Fabric

- American made texturized Polyester Duck.
- High Count provides outstanding tensile and tear strength.
- Multi-ply construction for maximum wear and abrasion resistance.

Coating
- Specially formulated polymeric coating that will not harden, crack or peel.
- Highly water resistant but permeable to water vapor.
- Coating formulated to be resistant to mildew, sunlight, and atmospheric chemicals.

Finished Fabric
- Highest Strength.
- Maximum abrasion -- puncture resistance.
- Highly water resistant, yet breathable.
- Dimensionally stable, less than 1% shrinkage or elongation.
- 62 inch finished width.
- Available in 16 colors.
- Five year manufacturers warranty.

Sodar 04-03-2013 11:50 AM

Top Gun is good and so is Sunbrella's equivalent called SeaMark.

There is a nice little comparison chart here:

http://canvas-fabrics.com/SeaMark/index.htm

zsqure 04-03-2013 12:57 PM

The 209 I purchased spent its life on a covered lift. The cover for the boat had vents sewn into it and is not made of Sunbrella material. The cover is mildew stained on the underside. If your boat is wet inside when you cover it, you may be creating a "crock pot" with a cover that does not breathe, regardless of the vents. And a selling point from the previous owner was having the carpets steam cleaned at the end of each season.....how else would you remove the smell. As long as your boat has the opportunity to dry out thoroughly, UNCOVERED it may not matter what material the temporary cover is.

ricford 04-03-2013 04:29 PM

Love my sunbrella cover. It sits outside all summer. I've put it away with wet carpet, and never had a mildew problem. In fact the carpet is dry by the next weekend. It's also completely waterproof. Even when I didn't get the poles just right and the water pooled a bit, it didn't leak.

GoneBoatN 04-03-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gruvnfunk (Post 921629)
I need to get a bow and cockpit cover and do not know whether I should go with Sunbrella or Top Gun. I understand that Sunbrella is more breathable and Top Gun is virtually waterproof. This will primarily be used to cover the boat at mooring. I have a full cover I would use for trailering if the bow and ****-pick cover is not recommended for trailering.

If I went with Top Gun I would have to make sure I got vents to ensure the boat would dry out with the cover on it.

...I set up an appointment with an installer that uses Top Gun so I am hoping that is a good choice.

I was also thinking about going with black so that it would help evaporate the water on the cover and in the boat quicker.

MasterCraft X-Star 2000 w/ tower

I have a black cover that came with the boat. I would never choose a black cover as it really cooks the boat when in direct sunlight on a hot day = 99.999% of our summer days.

kyfooter 04-06-2013 01:46 PM

I've had a custom Top Gun cover made for both of my MasterCrafts and I would do it again in a heartbeat. I've never had to worry about the cover ripping, never had to worry about torrential downpours drenching the boat, and I have been extremely happy when having to tow with the cover on due to rain. I had dark blue for one, and black for the other. Regardless the color, the boat will get hot inside. I also had two vents sewn in to allow some airflow but never had any issue as our boat was never put away wet.

Our family boat is too big for our garage (I/O), and we had a Top Gun cover made for it when the boat was new in 1991. That cover was just replaced in 2011 due to stitching starting to give up, not the cover. Kept the boat perfectly dry all year long, including winters. Unfortunately, it was replaced with a sunbrella and IMO, Sunbrella is crap unless it's just needed as a dust cover. Don't know anything about the SeaMark style from Sunbrella.

If you truly need it as a cover, for weather elements, I prefer Top Gun. If you just need a dust cover, or occasional use, Sunbrella should be fine.

Ben 04-06-2013 02:02 PM

Black Sunbrella + sun =dry boat. Although I don't put the cover on if it is really wet. I just replaced the original 94 sun tells on mine the year before last. Went w sunbrella again. Sits on uncovered hoist all summer. I've debated a canopy for the hoist but like the fact the boat is super dry.

It does get really hot though. I use mine mornings for the most part, so not a big deal. On the days we use during the day, need to take the cover off and let it cool a bit or be careful, maybe splash some water on the seats. The metal window frame and other stuff is crazy hot.